FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 02, 2024, 01:13:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Trimatic  (Read 3900 times)
Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 28, 2006, 11:14:08 AM »

I am readying a trimatic to bolt up to my grey motor and have been informed that a 360 degree bell housing is a better option than the lesser housing with inspection guard (lets call it a 180 degree housing even though it isn't exactly 180 degrees).  I have a 180 degree trimatic with the linkages on the correct side and vacuum kickdown that appears to be in good order that I plan to use.  

I know I can mate up the 180 degree housing box with some engine mount mods but if it it easy, I might change the housing to a 360 degree one.  

My query is, it seems from looking into the bellhousing that I may be able to simply unbolt the housing and bolt a 360 degree one in it's place.  It this right or will I be undoing bolts that will cause me grief (due to their doing more than simply holding on the bell housing) if I go undoing these bolts.

Cheers,
Burnsy
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 11:19:18 AM by Burnsy » Logged

Mike
earlyholdenfan

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 11:09:55 PM »

Burnsey I had been told when I put my Trimatic in that the 360 degree bell housing will bolt up, but better to get an auto place to do do it? not too sure why? could have been my mechanical ineptitude or something about balancing or alignment or adjustment??
Anyways my two cents worth.
Roger can fill you in on that
Matt
HEMI

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 11:24:16 PM »

Hi Burnsey,
I've done this conversion to the FB and the improvement was awesome, even persuaded a mate to give it a go. Make sure the weight of the engine is supported well and you'll have some fun redrilling the flywheel, should get it over the pit and get some pics soon.   The bell housing has to be aligned with a special tool.
Cheers HEMI
This is my first post so hi to everyone and how do i add one of those pics
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 04:51:19 AM »

Welcome aboard HEMI.
I've been meaning to ask, why HEMI?
Picture posting intructions here -
http://www.fefcholden.org.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=album;action=display;num=1102989476

HEMI

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 09:41:19 AM »

Thanks Stinky
HEMI is short for haemorrhoid (cause i hang around arse holes) a name i chose  when joining the local panelvan club , some think i'm running a hemi, maybe someday.
I've actualy met you at F... and J... when you took over a steering wheel at semaphore.
Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 11:28:31 AM »

Hi Burnsey,
I've done this conversion to the FB and the improvement was awesome, even persuaded a mate to give it a go. Make sure the weight of the engine is supported well and you'll have some fun redrilling the flywheel, should get it over the pit and get some pics soon.   The bell housing has to be aligned with a special tool.
Cheers HEMI
This is my first post so hi to everyone and how do i add one of those pics

Hemi, do you mean that the fitting of the bellhousing to the box requires a special tool?  If so I will have to take Matts advice and leave the bell housing change to a gearbox place.  Thanks guys.

Mike
earlyholdenfan

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 05:10:24 PM »

Yeah that was it Burnsey,
I knew it was something technical like that!
but you could modify it yourself then just get it fitted up for a couple of bucks
Matt
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 12:59:20 AM »

Burnsey,
wheres the shifter going? keeping the column or on the floor with the auto?
pretty sweet if the column is kept and if you do.......let me know how
cheers

Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 11:48:17 AM »

Keeping the hydromatic column I have.  They are apparently not too hard to adapt as long as you get a tri with the shifter linkage setup on the drivers side.  Alternately there is a guy who makes up the linkages - speak to Matt (earlyholdenfan) for setails, I don't have them handy.

You also need to redrill your flex plate and machine up a new bush.

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: