FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 12, 2024, 12:46:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Painting engine componets?  (Read 3777 times)
Adria

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2017, 05:58:16 PM »

Hello, im only new here and need a lot of help.
Briefly im 37 yr old female, never had an interest in cars, but the last couple of years i have dreamed of having an old ute.
Alsa im now an owner of 1958 FC ute and with the help of my fairly mechanical minded husband, i hope to get the this baby up and running.

My question is can things like the fan and the round thing that fan belt hooks onto be painted? They are a little rusty and id like to give underneath a good clean and tidy as we go, so is there a product that i should use to restore and or to make her parts look pretty?
Hubby has suggest using a kill rust black enamel?? Is this okay or should we look at using something else??

I know nothing of cars... BUT don't touch her, she is mine!
1958 FC ute
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 08:22:38 PM »

Hi Adria,

Welcome aboard - lots of people here only too happy to help out with any questions you have.

The fan and pulley are originally painted, and there's no reason not to tart them up if they need it. There's a product range called "POR-15" which are very hard-wearing paints in matt or gloss black (and possibly other colours, not sure) that is good for this sort of thing, as well as the front end suspension parts etc. Some bits of the engine are the same grey as the engine, others are black or cad-plated etc. If you're looking to do something "original" and "authentic", there's plenty of help here for those details.

I'd suggest you get along to a meeting of your local FE-FC club, so you can have a good look at some other cars and get advice about yours.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 08:24:12 PM »

Welcome Adria, if you want a really nice finish then get all the surface rusted components such as fan, pulley, engine mounts, brackets etc blasted and primed. I have a document which details the colour of every component in the engine bay which I can send you. Send me a pm and I will forward it to you.

Regards.  Ken
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 09:00:29 PM »

Welcome Adria as has been said just ask your questions and there are plenty of people that will help if it is standard or modified it doesn't mater help is here.
Please post some photos when you get a chance we all want to see.
Regards
Neil H
Adria

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 09:17:59 AM »

Thanks all for the great start.
I will endeavor to get to meeting in all my spare time.. haha
Seriously, i know only too well how that first meeting can help so much.

Welcome Adria as has been said just ask your questions and there are plenty of people that will help if it is standard or modified it doesn't mater help is here.
Please post some photos when you get a chance we all want to see.
Regards
Neil H
I will post photos when i can work out how to. I may be youngish but technology and i, are not a great combination. I feel im closer to the era of my car and how i wish i could live that time.

I know nothing of cars... BUT don't touch her, she is mine!
1958 FC ute
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: