FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 16, 2024, 02:13:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Cutting front FE coil springs  (Read 4497 times)
Dave Lakin (Davo Lako)

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2010, 04:30:50 PM »

Not a new topic but I was wondering how many coils  (maybe only one) must I cut from my stock FE coils to lower the car 2 inches ?
Any advice would be appreciated ...Dave .

When I was a young man I spent most of my money on cars , beer and women (in that order) ... the rest ... I just wasted !

Port Macquarie NSW
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 06:02:10 PM »

About half a coil - maybe 2/3 will do it.
I cut a full turn off and it sat 5mm off the bump stop. Cut off a half and see how it looks, you can always cut more, you can't put it back.

Ken
Dave Lakin (Davo Lako)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 10:22:38 AM »

Thanks Ken , I'll take it easy with the grinder !!!

When I was a young man I spent most of my money on cars , beer and women (in that order) ... the rest ... I just wasted !

Port Macquarie NSW
GOA350
vic-club

FE's are great when they've got a V8

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 09:41:32 PM »

I just cut my front springs down by 3/4" inch more than one coil and my FC sits nice. It is about 2" lower, i know because i put 2" lowering blocks under the diff and the car sits level. I bought, what i thought would fit into a King pin front end, a pair of Pedders lowered front springs, and cut the Fc ones to the same height as the lowered ones, and thats how i determined how much to cut off. Now i will use the lowered ones to go into a HR front end at a later date.
ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 09:42:46 AM »

i would have said 1-11/4, i've cut 11/2 coils and not been near the bumpstops, i've taken as much as 21/2 coils off but also cut the bumpstops down
newman

The older I get, the faster I was !!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 10:30:58 AM »

As the other guys said about a full coil and a bit, I usually have a spare set of coils handy just in case I take too much off. You'll know when that happens, you let the jack down and its wedged under the car Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Mick Cool
Dave Lakin (Davo Lako)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 12:59:43 PM »

Thanks all ...Think I'll cut half a coil at a time and check the height after each cut ...wow not one knife for even suggesting a cut !!

BTW are lowering blocks legal in NSW ??

Port Macquarie NSW
ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 08:23:47 PM »

BTW are lowering blocks legal in NSW ??

that's a fairly gray area i think they ARE NOT legal, but i've never been told to take a set out and the people selling them generally say they ARE legal, so to me that would make them liable for any action if they sell them to you as legal
fe

My FE

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 06:51:45 PM »

i can show you a pic of how much i cut off a standard coil and then a photo of my fe to show you the results ,if that is a help,I cut 1-1/4 off mine but wish to cut more as my Fe sits level and I want to have it even lower  Kiss
Fe
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: