FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 16, 2024, 07:16:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Grey Motor Condensor  (Read 5087 times)
Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 16, 2005, 07:24:15 AM »

I am just running through my electrical system trying to fix a problem and have replaced my leads, this fixed the problem but I am continuing through it doing a bit of preventative maintenance.

I need a new condensor for the coil and have been told that it is a Bosch GB61-c that I need and the coil is a SU12.

Can anyone confirm this as Bosch no longer list pre HD in their parts book.

Also does anyone know the part number of the condensor on the distributor (if in fact the grey has one - I am not at home so can't check) so I can make sure that it is not this one that I have bought?

Thanks,
Burnsy

Mike
craiga
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 07:34:23 AM »

Burnsy,

The Grey motor definitely has a condenser - of about 18 - 22uF. The condenser is designed to dissipate the energy remaining in the coil after the energy in secondary coil winding has collapsed - the spark has sparked!! It also protects the points from 'back EMF', a phenomenon where energy from the primary winding of the coil flows back across the points and burns them. Best way to tell if your condenser is stuffed is if you are seeing burning on the point surfaces.

The condenser is just a capacitor - so any modern version of the same spec should be OK. One designed for a HK - HQ will be fine.

I did a tech write up for the NSW Club magazine last year about ignition systems - maybe RET could post it up??

Cheers,

Craig

Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 07:40:08 AM »

Thanks Craig, I do have burning on the points so that is what pointed me to the condensor.  I am now confused though as my Coil has a condensor on the +ve side - is this the condensor I need to change or is there another one on the side of the distributor?  

Mike
craiga
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 07:44:09 AM »

Burnsy,

The capacitor on the +ve side of the coil is a suppressor for the radio. It is designed to filter out AC voltage a reduce the crackling effect on your radio. It has nothing to do with the burning of points.

You can safely remove it, and will have no resulting effect except noise in you radio - and usually only AM band.

Cheers,

Craig.
Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 07:50:32 AM »

AM radio station Huh whats that?  I will remove the capacitor and replace the condensor in the distributor with a GB61-c.  Would have looked pretty stupid replacing the capacitor with a condensor Wink

For those who are interested, Supercheap can order these in from Coventrys for $14 (as they no longer stock them)but if you go direct to Coventrys they want $23.

Mike
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2005, 08:06:46 PM »

Hi Guys.

Capacitor & condenser are 2 different names for the same thing.

The one on the +ve side of the coil is for radio noise suppression & the one on the distributor works in conjuction with the points to fire the coil as mentioned.

The only difference between the 2 is their physical layout (to suit their mounting situation) & their actual capacity value (measured in this case in microfarads).

Dr Terry.
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 05:35:42 AM »

Craig's article referred to above is available for Club Members from here.

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: