FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 22, 2024, 01:28:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Project  (Read 22872 times)
Wasim

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2007, 08:54:52 PM »

I purchased this car only the other week, you may have seen it on Ebay?

The car has been in storage since 1984. Does anyone know anything about this car Grin? Someone has has a good play with it, it has a 179 coupled to the standard grey 3 speed and a novel floor shifter (like a truck). It has EH running gear, an elaborate heating system and an unique electric wiper set up. And checkout the International (?) headlights - these front guards will be for sale -  I like the standard looK better.

Rust is minimal, but most panels need attention.

I'm giving myself 18-24 months to get it back on the road?HuhHuh?? I guess you've all heard that before!

South Australia
Wasim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 09:06:47 PM »

Can't work out how to link photobucket? any clues? file path is http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff108/wasim59

South Australia
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 10:11:04 PM »

its easy

NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 10:13:44 PM »

looks like you have a full paid for photobucket, try clicking on the link below the picture, then paste it in your post, and click preview and see if a pic comes up.

NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 10:18:06 PM »

its your car and totally up to you but i think taking those guards off would destroy some of the cars history, it is known for its guards and has been disgused on here a few times before, otherwise, i dont think you will have much trouble selling them.
 any way, looks like you scored well.

Just40
qld-club

I cant fix my brakes, so I made my horn LOUDER

just40fe
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 10:21:39 PM »

well i agree with fccool,keep the guards i like the look of it.

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 11:21:21 PM »

I'm with you lose the guards they look like crap. What a waste of time and effort just to spoil the front of the car and any one that would fit those blinker / park lights to our beloved  ......FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
customFC
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 12:37:33 AM »

Well I love those guards.....but you knew I was going to say that!!
As Leon said, the car has come up before on the forum, including when it was sold on a car classifieds site.
As for replacing the gaurds, that's entirely your choice.
HOWEVER, if you do go down that path, let me know, as I would be interested in the gaurds.
Are the headlight surrounds in good order? Some pics showed what appeared to be damage.
Regards
Alex

Wasim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 07:02:06 AM »

Thanks for the pointer on copying and pasting - seems that when you have a PA at work you don't really do this all the time.

The best way to describe the front guards condition is OK - there is no rust (persay) that I can see but they do need to be stripped back and smoothed. The lights surrounds are badly pitted and rough. The way the indicators have been attached is best described as 'agricultural'.

The shed will be getting a concrete floor before Christmas and then into the New Year it's full steam ahead.

I appreciate the comment about the 'cars history' but I've always wanted to do an FC in black, minimal exterior chrome, black and white interior, lowered, white walls, 70's period running gear with some novelties (i.e. floor shifter etc), but with at least front vented discs.

This car is just the right foundation. So I feel a bit guilty to 'change' history but that's the way it goes I guess.

My ideal position would be to swap the guards for standard ones (like condition) and perhaps snare a complete FC grill and indicators as well?

I have more photos, if anyone is interested I can post them.

South Australia
TAYZ
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 10:15:18 PM »

Wasim, Im after a set of guards just like that.  send me a pm if you want to sell them.  Cheers mate

Paul
Wasim

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 08:29:02 PM »

Here's some photos of where I'm up to.

Taken about 6 weekends up to this stage Smiley
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 09:51:54 PM by stinky » Logged

South Australia
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 10:01:00 PM »

what are you striping the paint on your door jambs with?

Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008, 10:05:53 PM »

Great progress, especially for only 6 weeks, keep it up!

Wasim

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 07:55:21 PM »

To strip off the old paint etc I first used a liberal amount of paint stripper and wrapped the piece in glad wrap and left it for a week. Then I applied some more stripper and just before it dried I hit it with the grinder with a wire wheel attachment. About 90% came off in one pass. To finish it off I applied more stripper to the remaining paint and again with the grinder it was gone.

Over the weekend I had my first go at welding?Huh? Looks ugly but it's stuck real good.

South Australia
mikey

Werribee

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 06:27:56 AM »

Over the weekend I had my first go at welding?Huh? Looks ugly but it's stuck real good.

Have heard someone here call their welds "Gorilla welds" ugly but strong.  Smiley

Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!
steamman

Model: other Holden

Woodend Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 09:44:28 AM »

I am watching with great interest, great work keep it up.
Cheers
Deano

FE and FC"S rule.
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 09:35:31 PM »

Good work Wasim,just about to take on this same task,but on a much larger scale!Keep up the good work. Wink

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2008, 12:18:55 AM »

Hi Wasim
Great work, great progress in such a short time. I really think I need to move back home and build my dream shed so I to can restore my car or by myself a project.

Keep up the good work and keep the photo's flowing.

Cheers Jim

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
Wasim

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2008, 01:55:03 PM »

Had another play this weekend. Welding is getting better, especially when I bought an automatic welding mask?? Gave myself a good dose of welding flash in the left eye last weekend, don't recommend it to anyone. Oh well, my old man always said I'd learn the hard way!!

Got the 2 sill patches welded in and just a fine amount of fibreglass bog (Good Stuff). Next weekend it's the top coat and into primer. Surprised my self when I put the straight on the sill - it's almost prefect!

South Australia
Revhead_Fc
nsw-club

just put a chev in it

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2008, 03:12:32 PM »

Its looking great its good to see you having a go at it keep up the good work oh and keep the progress pics coming
Ben
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: