FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:47:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 202 Head on 179  (Read 3629 times)
FCwagon
vic-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2003, 10:12:42 AM »

Hi all,
I've just been given a yella terra head and hot cam for a 202 & I was wondering if it would fit a 179. I've a fair idea it won't but have not taken all that much interest in the notion until now. Because you see, I've also got a big bugger 2 barrel Weber on a great looking manifold to bolt onto it.
I have a vague recollection this topic was discussed before, but I've just spent ages searching for it without any luck. If someone can remind me where it was on this forum, or if they know the answer, I'd be most gratefull.
cheers,
Leigh

Red & white is alright
Jockster

Old Holdens never die they just go faster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2003, 10:48:26 AM »

Leigh
this has been posted in this part of the forum before, but the short answer is if its a red 202 head it will bolt straight on, if it is a blue 202 (12 port) head it will fit but there is a minor modification that has to be done to the water jacket (can't remember whether it's the water jacket on the block or on the had that has to be modified)
Cheers
Jock

Cars are my life not just my work
Effie C

Model: other Holden

Still Lost & Confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2003, 09:45:12 PM »

FCWagon
Check out Yella Terras website, under heads it tells you what mods are required to fit heads to different motors.
Hole sizes where to drill etc.
John M

LIVE LIFE ONE DAY AT A TIME,FOR TOMORROW MAY NEVER COME!

Photo Site:http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v161/EffieC/
jezz
wa-club

an engine would be nice, saves pushing the wagon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2003, 07:03:39 AM »

had my 179 HP block re-con'd bout a year ago and  had a hard time finding a 186 head to replace the existing.
from memory Huh I ended up going for a 202 head with harded valve seats to run ULP. pretty straight forward swap.
if thats any help.

Jezz
FCwagon
vic-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2003, 08:30:59 PM »

Thanks for the info guys.
I'll stick it on & hopefully will get some performance. I've just got to contact a cam shop & find out what sort of hot cam I have before installing that. It'll have an auto behind it, so don't want it too lumpy.
cheers,
Leigh

Red & white is alright
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2003, 11:17:10 AM »

With the 202 head on a 179, you may want to check how the compression is going to end up. The performance gain may be negated by the comp drop, or you could add one of those dinky-di $300 Jap blowers!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: