FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:40:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Lead Wiping Removal  (Read 3414 times)
weedy-burton

me love ute long time

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2003, 05:02:26 AM »

Just wondering if anyone can tell me the best way to remove lead wiping and how do I replace it when the time comes.

thanks

Weedy Grin

He who hesitates is lost.
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2003, 09:16:16 AM »

Hi Weedy.
You can use an oxy torch to remove the lead. You will not need much heat, too much may distort the panel. It will melt and run out, so be mindful as to what is below and on the floor. Use a wire brush to scrape out the low areas when hot. Don't forget eye protection.
To replace it, you could relead it, but modern plastic fillers are more superior than lead when prepped and applied correctly.
Regards
Alex

Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2003, 09:42:39 AM »

I also wondered how lead wiping was done.
Until I saw an english program on Foxtel called "A car is reborn", a fantastic series following a funny guy rebuilding an E-Type Jag from conception and location to taking it to it's first show.
Anyways, they showed lead wiping, it's kinda like applying wax. You grab a bar of lead, heat it up so it is on the brink of melting and stick it on the car. Like bog, it's built up proud of the surface and filed back.

IMHO, stick to plastic filler, unless you know a pro.

Nick Field
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2003, 10:37:45 AM »

Just apply heat and chase it off the panel.
To re apply is a bit harder.
You'll need
Blow torch
Tinning fluid/solder paint
Tallow/Lard(cheaper)
Solder stick
Wooden paddle
Body file(9 teeth to the inch)
Metal must be clean and bright Very important
Apply solder paint to area to be leaded
Gently heat until it changes colour
Wash off residual flux with clean water
Hold stick of solder 0.5cm from panel and heat stick and panel simultaneously
The lead coating on the panel and stick  should melt and fuse together. When the correct temperature is reached the stick will leave a trace of lead when smeared on the panel
Push the softened end of the stick onto the panel while continuing to heat gently
Briefly remove flame and allow stick to adhere to panel gently twist stick as you pull it away so that it snaps and leaves a blob of lead behind, briefly apply heat round edges until the blob flows slightly
When area is filled apply tallow to paddle and gently heat the lead to  the consistency of butter. Use the paddle in a rolling motion to flatten lead
Use the file to shape
LEAD DUST IS TOXIC
Hope this helps
Nick
weedy-burton

me love ute long time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2003, 11:11:19 AM »

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the info,Ive got one of those blowtorch's that plumbers use on copper pipes, so I think ill give that a go tomorrow.The reason I asked is that I have to remove the quaters on my ute to replace the panel just behind the rear screen at the front of the tray and I think it'll make changing the sills a lot easier as well.

Cheers

Weedy Grin

He who hesitates is lost.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: