FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:02:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: what sump is this?  (Read 5994 times)
Gary C
wa-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2010, 03:55:40 PM »

Just wondering if anybody can help me identify this sump and steering, I think it is eh and the steering fc on hr front end. It actually lifts the engine when on lock. Any help would be appreciated,thanks.

It has been suggested that a lc-lj torana sump might be an option and also the engine mounts may be too low.Thanks again,
Gary C
ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 06:02:54 PM »

EH sump pre HD/HR drag link and i'de say like others that yor engine mounts are way to low
Gary C
wa-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 06:50:59 PM »

Thanks Ratbox, the engine mount measures 75mm 90 deg to the crossmember to the bolt holes

the ute also has a aussie 4 speed and the floor tunnel is basically stock so there is little room to raise the engine.
I have now removed the engine and gearbox and just need some advice on which way to go,thanks
Gary C
ratbox

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 08:45:31 PM »

i'de say that's why it's so low so they didn't have to do the floor hump so the engine mounts may be ok and the gearbox needs to be raised which will mean floor hump mods
FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 01:46:30 PM »

You could also try an LC/LJ sump as they don't have the step in the pan that the EH sumps do.Although they do start to taper from about that area in you EH sump pic ( where it looks like someone has braze welded the sump) back toward the sump bowl.The LC/LJ sump bowl is at the rear much like the EH sumps.

Or.......

You could slice in half lengthways a 2 inch exhaust pipe and cut and weld in ( or braze weld ) to the sump in the position where the steering has rubbed on the eh sump previously.A 2  inch pipe sliced lengthways raises that area by an inch and shouldn't give you any crankshaft clearance issues.It would create an oil pooling area in that spot forward but shouldn't be a problem in normal driving with oil splashing around hitting the crank.

Or.........

Not really a "professional" modification but you could try heating and curving in that area with a ball pein hammer.Might give you at least a 1/2 inch curve in the sump for clearance.

Or...........

Try modifying the existing tunnel a bit to maybe raise the gearbox a little to gain some clearance on the steering to sump problem.Have heard of blokes that have modified the existing tunnel to accomodate bigger gearboxes without the need for replacing the tunnel completely.

Or.........

Replace the trans tunnel with a bigger one and move the mounts up higher.

Has anybody seen my red pen??
Gary C
wa-club

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 06:53:49 PM »

Thanks FB mad, I probably have to modify or replace the sump as you noticed it has had some extensive repairs in that area. Also the floor has taken a bit of a beating with holes being cut in and patched. Looks like it had a 3 speed floor shift at one time and they also had a couple of goes at getting the hole right for the 4 speed shifter. So I think a lc/lj sump and new floor hump is the go, thanks again
Gary C
FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 01:24:56 AM »

If you fit the bigger trans hump you shouldn't have to try an LC/LJ sump as you can use the EH sump and just raise the front engine mounts a tad higher ( say approx an inch ) to allow better steering-to-sump clearance and all should fit nicely.

Has anybody seen my red pen??
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: