FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 14, 2024, 07:55:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Rares Rubber install?  (Read 7736 times)
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« on: April 10, 2007, 08:31:59 AM »

I am installing the rubbers around the rear door of the ol girl and have come across two rubbers, part numbers rds1049 and rds1050. One is SEAL DOOR FE FC FB EK LEFT HAND REAR and the other is SEAL DOOR FE FC INNER. I can see the difference in the mould of the rubber and worked out that one goes under the scuff plate and follows the track around but where does the SEAL DOOR FE FC INNER one go?

smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 09:16:27 AM »

hey nes, if it is a thinner profile rubber then it will sit on the inner lip of the door jamb.

there will be 4 required for all doors and the will sit in a channel inside of the B pillar. ( i have been told that you can stretch 2 to make 4?
you can also just get a squre profile rubber from clarks riubber or similar place?

the door rubber follows the line of the door if you are looking at the car with doors off then the door rubber sits in the first channel all the way round
the inner seal will sit in the vertical channel on either side of the B pillar. on the indise of the door latch.
simple  Roll Eyes
geez its bloody hard to describe a small channel in words.
if you get stuck let me know and i'll post some pics

how did you go with your boot seal?
dean

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 09:27:52 PM »

Smithy, a pic would tell a thousand words and would be appreciated.

I gave up on the boot rubber for a bit but will have another go soon when I put in the boot latch to hold it shut

smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 04:27:06 AM »

here ya go nes.
youll see your rubber installed on the inner side of the B pillar  

and the back door one  is in the same cahnnel against the B pillar
if you need any more just yell.

cheers
dean

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 06:38:47 PM »

Thanks Bloke. Its a real help.
I figured the front out and most of the rear but want to know if you went behind the upper door hinge on the rear (red screwdriver) or if you cut the rubber and started againfurther up? It looks as though it can go behind the lower hinge.

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 11:11:30 PM »

This is one of the areas where the Rares rubbers do not follow the shape of the original.  The rubber goes over the top and bottom hinge and I have found that the best results come from cutting the back off the Rares rubber so that it does not stick out too far when you go over the hinge - Have a look at an original rubber and you will see how they are moulded in this area.

Ken
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 01:21:09 AM »

Ken, thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I bought the car as a Shell so I have no rubbers to go off.

smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 02:23:21 AM »

hey nes, the tip ken suggested is one to follow. i had to cut my rares rubber out aswell.
what worked for me was just to cut a section out the same size as the hinge from the back only of the rubber, leaving the slightly curved profile remaining.
just use a very sharp blade and take your time.
and the only other tip i can give with the rubbers is just to glue and work in smallish sections. i was working in about 12-18 inch sections and using heavy duty clothess pegs to hold the rubber in place till it dried completely.

good luck

craiga
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 02:40:32 AM »

Place the rubber in place and use small drops of superglue to fix it to the body. If you put a drop every 4" or so it will hold very well. I've done a few of these now and its the best way I've found - very neat and fast.

If the rubber won't hold in place (like the inner won't) then use painting quality masking tape. Very easy and removes without residue or chance of scratching your new paint.

Trying to use contact glue is just messy and a pain in the arse.

Have fun.

Craig.
GMB-58FC

Stage one complete...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 03:35:57 AM »

Hey guys

i've just bought my first FC and the seals are onething that needs immediate attention.

I was just wondering if you can buy a kit or have to buy each rubber individual?

Cheers Ben

ABS Hobart- 6231 5855

FOR ALL YOUR BRAKE & CLUTCH NEEDS. 

PM FOR QUOTE
craiga
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 04:20:53 AM »

You can do both.

Rare Spares (http://www.rarespares.net.au) or their agents have both options, you can also try Spectrum Rubber and a few others including Clark Rubber.

Kit is around $1000.00 or more for a sedan.

Doors really need to be off to replace those particular rubbers, two choices for bailey channels, original type is expensive but right, later Torana/HQ style is cheaper but not quite right. OK for modified, IMHO looks a little wrong on a stocky.

Experience says not to use contact glue for the rubbers, superglue is heaps easier and neater. Others may however disagree.

Have fun!!!

Cheers,

Craig.
GMB-58FC

Stage one complete...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 05:38:17 AM »

You can do both.

Rare Spares (http://www.rarespares.net.au) or their agents have both options, you can also try Spectrum Rubber and a few others including Clark Rubber.

Kit is around $1000.00 or more for a sedan.

Doors really need to be off to replace those particular rubbers, two choices for bailey channels, original type is expensive but right, later Torana/HQ style is cheaper but not quite right. OK for modified, IMHO looks a little wrong on a stocky.

Experience says not to use contact glue for the rubbers, superglue is heaps easier and neater. Others may however disagree.

Have fun!!!

Cheers,

Craig.

Hey Craig

thanks for the reply, i will have a look at rarespares and alike and also assess which ones are missing/need to be replaced.

I know that the door seals are missing on the drivers side and i also noticed that the back rear needed new seals but all in good time i guess.

First thing is to think long and hard if i want to respray it or not and if so what colour :-/

Also i was wondering if there is anywhere you can buy new trimming for the roof/seats/skins (i haven't had a look through the rest of the forum yet) as i noticed there was some roof linings on Ebay however they were for a ute not a sedan.

Cheers Ben

ABS Hobart- 6231 5855

PM FOR QUOTE
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 03:41:48 AM »

Hey Craig

thanks for the reply, i will have a look at rarespares and alike and also assess which ones are missing/need to be replaced.

I know that the door seals are missing on the drivers side and i also noticed that the back rear needed new seals but all in good time i guess.

First thing is to think long and hard if i want to respray it or not and if so what colour :-/

Also i was wondering if there is anywhere you can buy new trimming for the roof/seats/skins (i haven't had a look through the rest of the forum yet) as i noticed there was some roof linings on Ebay however they were for a ute not a sedan.

Cheers Ben

No need to quote the lot, if at all champ.

If your in bris I can help you out...

GMB-58FC

Stage one complete...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 10:55:23 AM »

No need to quote the lot, if at all champ.

If your in bris I can help you out...

Affraid not, im in Tassie.

ABS Hobart- 6231 5855

PM FOR QUOTE
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 07:08:56 AM »

Affraid not, im in Tassie.

OK

GMB-58FC

Stage one complete...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 12:01:11 PM »

OK

If you can still help though it would be much appreciated Wink

ABS Hobart- 6231 5855

PM FOR QUOTE
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2007, 07:58:29 AM »

If you can still help though it would be much appreciated Wink

Only too happy to help you mate. Pity your in Taz and not in Bris. It'd be easier to help. Otherwise I can point you in the "right" direction.
Cheers
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 08:00:00 AM by nes138 » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: