FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 22, 2024, 07:27:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Opel equivalent  (Read 2547 times)
roity
« on: May 21, 2002, 07:18:17 AM »

Hi all,

Just curious?  A majority of the Holden's over the years have been designes based on Opel's.  There have also been a lot of "World Cars" done by GM, such as the Camira & Gemini and even early Commodores.  

I collect diecast models of most current model HSV's etc. but in catalogues have noticed striking similarities of Opel's and even Chev's.  

If you look at an 1963 model Opel Rekord A Coupe you can see obvious similarities.  Especially the 1951 Opel Kapitaen, that looks a lot like the first Holdens.

Anyone share these views or have any info in regards to this?

Thanks,
Dave
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2002, 09:58:05 AM »

Dave, the first 2 Holdens were styled after an early unreleased Chev prototype.
However the FE was badged as a Kapitan when being tested on the roads pre release.  Maybe there is some Opel in the FE - though there sure is a lot of 1954 Chev there as well.
The FB was most certainly styled after the 1955 through 1957 Chev without a shadow of a doubt.
Some stories I have read about the EJ seem to suggest that it took a bit of styling from the Vauxhall?Huh
Then the EH went back to the 1960 Chev for looks
HD was styled after American Buick and Oldsmobile.
Maybe the Opel and the Holden were all styled after Chevs - that's why they look alike.

Ken
roity
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2002, 10:49:00 AM »

Thanks Ken.
Do you have any further info on this.

I know the first Holden was a prototype vehicle from GMC, and was first badged and registered as GMC.  I also know the GM worldwide had common designs the world over through it's various companies such as Opel, Vauxhall etc. etc.  Some of the F series Holden's certainly do appear a lot like Chevrolet Impala's (I think they were Imapala's) especially the 57 Chev.  I think it's the FC that looks a lot like the 57 chev.

It appears the designs were spread worldwide quite a lot until the 80's.  You can find some interesting variants of the VK commodore over in Europe.  After the VL commodore though, Holden moved into there own designs (in my opinion).

Thanks again for the info.  I'm trying to find out more info.

Regards,
Dave
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2002, 04:35:47 PM »

Hi Roity.
I have a brochure that is for the "Chevrolet Kommando" range, which is basically the HQ models with different motors, gearboxes, badging & other cosmetics. This was a South African release. I would post it here for all to see, but I am not sure how. If interested in a look, email me.
4hammers

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
PeteR

ampmobile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2002, 09:13:03 PM »

Dave,

The first Holden was actually badged GMH, the reason being that they hadn't decided what to call the car yet.  GMH the company had been around since 1931 (I think?) under that name, so they just stuck that on the prototype.  Then someone came up with Holden after Alexander James Holden who started the company as a carriage builder back at the turn of the century, and the rest they say is history!!  Cool

Peter
now

Onward Holden Soldiers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2002, 10:19:36 PM »

General Motors started in Australia in 1926, Holden marked the 50th anniversary of GM In Australia with the "50th Anniversary" HX. They neglected to commemorate the 75th Anniversary last year due to commitments with other models (Monaro, SS-50, etc).
Shame, though!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: