FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:05:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Speedo Stiff  (Read 2532 times)
Jolls
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2023, 11:23:37 AM »

Hi Team

I have pulled out the speedo on my ute project and given it a good clean up. The drive at the rear is very stiff so I suspect the lubrication has dried out and gummed up. The drive definitely works as I can turn it anti clockwise with a jewellers screwdriver inserted into the rear of the drive and the needle moves. Howevr, it takes a significant effort to do so. The last time I had an FC speedo in my hands was some 40 years ago and my recollection is that I could spin the drive freely with my fingers. My gut feel is that it needs a clean out and a couple of drops of light oil or innox to get it ready to be reinserted into the old girl.

My search of the forum using both the internal seach fuction and externally using google has not tured up any results. So before I delve into the innards I thought it prudent to seek the wisdom of forum to see if someone has done this previously and has some guidance on how to clean the drive or has an even simpler solution to the probem. I have no issues pulling the speedo down to its component parts and already have it at that point as part of the cleaning process. I have also tried to lubricate it externally with a bit of Innox with no success.

I look forward to your advice.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Cheers n Beers

Jolls
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2023, 12:04:44 PM »
+2

At the rear of the speedo is a tiny brass welsh plug. Use a fine pick to pull it out, and the same pick to remove the felt wad that lives under it. Clean any gunk out of the hole that you can. Add a few drops of oil (go easy). Wash the felt out in fuel or keep, dry it and oil it. Reassemble, then work the Speedo round with a drill on low speed using the end of a busted cable as a driver.

Cheers,
Harv
Jolls
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2023, 12:27:12 PM »

Thanks Harv,

That is absolutely gold, I suspected the brass plug was for oiling the drive. I'll let you kow how it goes. Thanks for sharing the detail.

Cheers n Beers

Craig

Cheers n Beers

Jolls
Jolls
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2023, 02:38:05 PM »

Thanks Harv,

Doubt the speedo has run as smothly since '59! Took no more than 5 minutes to resolve.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Cheers n Beers

Jolls
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2023, 08:59:06 AM »

Thank Ardiesse - he was the one that taught me.  Smiley

cheers,
Harv