FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 28, 2024, 03:21:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Installing Heater FC Sedan  (Read 10147 times)
Magpie 1

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2012, 04:23:39 PM »

Hi All,
Recently i scored(in very good nick) a 'toa denso' under dash heater. It is the round type with the front opening doors and two outlets to connect flex duct to for the windshield demisting.Resembles for all intensive purposes the original 'nasco or smiths' heaters i suppose. Looking on the firewall, the cut out for the heater hoses is in the centre behind the rocker cover. My question however, concerns the placement of the heater unit under the dash (as i believe that having yet to source a radio for fitment) i understand that depending on whether a heater is installed correctly dictates the style/type of radio that can be installed?? Also, has anybody any ideas regarding fabrication of two duct/disperses to accommodate the demister vents?
Therefore, can anyone please give me details/photos/specs for installing the heater so as not to interfere with any anticipated radio fitment down the track?
Whilst here, somewhere along the line the gear shift knob on the column shift lever has gone missing. Would anybody happen to have an original spare please? Thanks for your help. Cheers Norman
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 04:39:39 PM »

Norman,welcome aboard, you will find all sorts of info, all you have to do is ask, and someone will answer. For the heater fitting you would have to measure how far the heater sits from the firewall then measure how much space you have left from the front of the heater to the dash. Or you could fit the heater on the left side under the glovebox.
As for the gear knob, "maco" on the forum does an aftermarket one which is a great looking unit and fits real well.
Regards, Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
Maco
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 10:03:58 PM »

Thanks for the rap Jim.

John

Better in Green
Stewy
sa-club

Model: FE

FErgus 1957 FE Special Station Sedan

Jeff Stewart
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 10:56:04 PM »

Info on gear knob repros http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,20424.0.html

And pictures
http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,14832.0.html

Cheers Stewy   Cool

No matter how much you push the envelope, It'll still be stationery
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 06:33:48 AM »

G'day Norman,

This post may help:
http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,18383.0.html

For the demister vents, try Ed on this forum - he makes very good fibreglass reproductions, and sells them in batches (may have to wait until his next batch is ready... the man tends to get a little busy, and incredibly creative, with the gasaxe  Grin): http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,2716.0.html

Cheers,
Harv (deputy apprentice heater fiddler).
ridgey_didge
act-club

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 11:00:14 AM »

Hi Norman,

I have a tao denso heater in my FE sedan, installed in the early 1980's and still in good working condition.  If it would help to have any photos of how mine is fitted, let me know and I will oblige.

Cheers
David

ridgey_didge
act-club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 11:04:50 AM »

Better still - I see you are in Canberra, as am I.  Come and look at it in person if you like.  I have sent you a PM (see "My Messages" on the bar towards the top of the screen).

Cheers
David

ridgey_didge
act-club

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 12:49:51 PM »

Here are photos showing the location of the Tao Denso heater in my car.

And the fix points and water pipe entry position.

I hope that helps.

Cheers
David

Magpie 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 02:15:05 PM »

Greetings All,

The response has been fantastic the comments and photos and links to sites have been most beneficial. I am very grateful to all and thank you for your assistance.

Cheers Norman
Magpie 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 09:07:33 AM »

Message for ED,

Hi ED would appreciate being able to order a set of demister ducts and any associated fitment accessories and instructions for my FC which is about to have a heater fitted. Further, are you aware if you can still get hold of (from memory) the old brass water cock which was fitted into the head to turn the flow of water to the heater on/off??

Please advise when you are doing next production run and details of your bank etc so i can transfer funds. Thanks have a good day in which ever shed you are currently working in!!!!

Regards Norman
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 10:05:41 AM »

Hi Norman,

I have sent you a PM re: the ducts. I don't stock any heater parts, but maybe one of the other forum users has one they mate be willing to sell.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: