FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:40:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Sill replacement and other bits ..  (Read 19828 times)
Froger

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2016, 10:25:36 PM »

G'day all..
I 'm getting closer to getting into the rust in my Pano .. I've been working away a lot over the years and not had much time .. I have 4 cars of different makes on the go . Well i'm home now on a more permanent basis due to dumbass cancer , but hey i'm feeling great for now and i'm positive , so no pity please  , so it's time to get the enjoyable things in life cracking .. I've been through plenty of build threads on here over the time and pretty well think I have the procedure in my head but wouldn't mind pics or links to build  threads in this area of the vehicle swung this way as I didn't bookmark back then , silly me . One question , the seam from the back of the front door to the rear wheel arch between the body where it meets the sill  does it have a bend like the sill and they butt together ?? .. Pics would be good if anyone has done this repair .. I have to do the A and B lower pillars as well , will be leaving the doors on for line up purposes  .. I've attached pics of said area so you can get an idea of what i'm doing .. I plan to brace the van internally with box tubing and mount the old crusty girl on a rotisserie .. Any info would be much appreciated .. Pics of said van are attached so use can all see what i'm in for ..
Cheers Fred..

Mid Nth Coast , NSW
Froger

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 02:35:30 PM »

What does no body have anything to add to this thread . Some links reads to build threads or something would be good .. And the advice on the rear seam wouldn't be bad either ..

Mid Nth Coast , NSW
GMHwagoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 02:49:56 PM »

froger have sent pm

have wagon on rotisserie so can send any pics you need
Froger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 08:38:18 PM »

That would be great Greg if you could mate .. Don't want to take up to of anyones time but if you could flick some pics my way , would much appreciated .
Cheers FRED   

Mid Nth Coast , NSW
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 11:43:31 PM »

Hey Fred.
Message sent.
Regards
Alex

Froger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 04:06:26 AM »

Cheers Alex , much appreciated .. Good write up ..

Mid Nth Coast , NSW
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 08:36:39 AM »

Just saw your post and thought that looked exactly like mine. Big Job. Have sent mine away after trying DYI. -[
Good luck keep the pictures coming! :
Nick

You can never have too many!
Port Macquarie NSW
VAN059

Brisbane, QLD.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 11:43:46 AM »

I'm soon to start on mine as well, but hoping that I won't be in for quite as much work as yours.  Shocked

Time will tell after I send her off to the blasters. Will be starting a thread soon.

Cheers
Marc

Smokin Words and Shoutin Turds
Froger

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 08:52:26 PM »

Cheers Fellas .. Yes there's a bit to do so we'll see .. The pic I'm attaching here shows the seam I was talking about , between the door and the wheel arch . Can anyone tell me how the top panel meets the sill . Does it shape in with a lip like the top of the sills then spot weld in ?? Some sort of answer would be great , can someone help please .By the way , how nice is this Pano ? Cheers Fred.

Mid Nth Coast , NSW
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 09:49:01 AM »

Here are some shots of my EK van.

Appears to be folded and tacked.

Passenger side is very rusty and had some bog I think.

Hope this is of some use. Love that green by the way. That's about the colour I want the van.

Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 04:40:34 PM »

The van side panel has a fold like you suggest and it is spot welded to the sill roughly where the door rubber would sit on a sedan or wagon.
On the assembly line the outer sill, roof rail, A and B pillars and the rear quarter assembly were spot welded together as one unit and this was then attached to the floor pan which included the inner sill. The firewall and dash, rear beaver panel, parcel shelf and finally the roof were added.
I have some nice production line photos that illustrate the process quite well on the sedan. No panel van pictures though

Ken
Froger

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 07:56:48 PM »

Great Stuff Clay and Ken .. Good info all round will help no end in the reconstruction of the Pano .. Moving it and my Xk Pano to my house from the farm this weekend so then I can get stuck into it in between everything else I have to do Smiley That seam had me rattled for a bit there as my van only had channels in place of the original sill .. If it's not to much trouble Ken a couple of pics would be much appreciated .. The more I have to guide me the better ..
Cheers Fred

Mid Nth Coast , NSW
fink

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 11:31:13 AM »

Would be good if you get the sill made,with a Swage line that copies the join,with 25ml added so you can Butt Weld it to the lower panel.This has always been the problem area for rust and cracking,good luck

\

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 04:36:52 PM »

Ken
Froger

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 07:44:48 PM »

Wow , that's pretty wild the way they constructed cars back then , Cheers for the pics Ken .. Not a bad idea fink man . Have a mate who owns a Rod shop up this way , might have a yarn to him about that idea and see whether it's possible to knock something up ..

Mid Nth Coast , NSW
fink

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2016, 10:30:17 PM »

Hope it works out Fred,only 4 cars,lol,i'm doin an XL Panno atm,302,c4. Cheesy
Froger

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 05:58:18 AM »

Cheers fink man .. Xl pano sweet , windows or windowless ? Yeah mate going to give my cars a good crack while I have the energy . Just hope the meds i'm about to partake in don't drag me down , but i'm positive so we'll see . Hey if they do at least I'll have Cool cars to sit and look at .. Happy Days  Cool

Mid Nth Coast , NSW
fink

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2016, 05:22:21 AM »

No windows,only way to go,btw your fc looks fairly clean apart from them sills,what's the plan?
Froger

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2016, 10:32:38 PM »

Cool mate , no windows only way to go .. Plan on cutting all the rust and replacing with new steel , have a HR front end have done the out rigger , have a set of old school spindles for Torana discs which I have set of now . Will be doing the old girl in a flat brown or something a bit ratty .. can always paint it properly later ..As for the donk it came with a really good running 186 but i'm in the thinking of a diesel turbo 4 , don't shoot everyone Smiley Modern technology seems to be the way to go now days , some of these turbo 4s crack and are so much better on fuel consumption as well. Anyway we'll see what happens ..

Mid Nth Coast , NSW
Froger

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2016, 10:34:25 PM »

Me again .. Has anyone had the pleasure of having to reconstruct these sections , such a work of art they are Smiley mine are going to have to be replaced which doesn't faze me to much just wanting to get others opinions if they have done this before .. Would I be be better to find someone wrecking a vehicle and have them cut out and near ready to go ?
Cheers Fred.

Mid Nth Coast , NSW
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: