FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 18, 2024, 02:04:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: My first car is an FE  (Read 12168 times)
57 Project

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2011, 09:37:33 PM »
+1

Hi there,
Just posting pics of my first FE. Its a 57 FE Station Sedan that I have recently purchased from a friend of my Dads. It had been in the same family since new and was last on the road in 95 and during it's life has crossed the Simpson and been to the rock. Apart from having a re-spray 20 years ago and picking up a new engine at some point its in origional condition. It even has the original tailgate with minimal rust which i'm told is fairly rare.
I''m planning on a 2 year restoration project that I will be doing with my Dad so am hoping to have it done for my year 12 formal in 2013! By the way i'm only 15 and can''t get my learners for another 11 months! I won't be able to start work on it for a few months as I used all my savings up to buy it.
I want to get her back to as near origional condition as budget will allow so once the project is under way proper i'm sure i'll be asking for heaps of advice. I know it's not very origional, but I have called her Ëffie........"

Angus

87 velo
nsw-club

Model: FE

Sydney

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 09:58:35 PM »

Very nice, looks like you got a very good starting point for a 1st car.  When you learn to drive it, it will teach you good habits, like leaving a gap to the car in front and cruising up to red lights so hopefully they are green when you get there so you don't have to stop to select 1st. 

A project like this will also teach you a lot of worth while skills, good luck with it, looking forward to seeing progress pics along the way
Cheers Mick Cool
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 10:45:31 PM »

Great looking Fe wagon you have there. Good luck with the rebuild.
cheers,
Graham
customFC
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 11:28:11 PM »

Welcome to the forum.
That's a nice looking wagon you have acquired.
Good luck with the restoration.

You might want to check out this site.
They approve financial grants to young people restoring older cars.
http://www.ahmf.org.au/Robert_Shannon_Foundation.htm

Regards
Alex

fe-ambo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 09:57:13 AM »

Welcome to the forum.
There is heaps of people on this forum that have a huge amount of knowledge, so ask away any questions that you might have.
Effie looks to be a great car. I look forward to seeing progress photos of the rebuild.

Cheers
Paul

If take a ride in a ambulance you gotta a chance,
if you take a ride in a hearse its gotta be worse.

Check out this website for more photos
http://gallery.oldholden.com/hr-hearse
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 03:52:42 PM »

A grand example Angus Grin

Good luck with the build.

Regards

Wayne
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 02:16:40 PM »

Nice looking wagon - I had a sedan in the same colour scheme. Can you post details of the ID plate numbers for my records. Would be really appreciated.

Ken
57 Project

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 07:03:34 PM »

Ok, Angus hasn't posted any progress on his project for a while, so i think i'll take over.
A quick update of where we stand:
It's been an interesting year. Angus finished paying for the car at the end of last year which meant we could start to strip her down and get the motor out. Then the 'twat' (and I use the term lightly) decided to buy a skateboard and promptly fall off it! (He was 15 at the time) Cue a ruptered ACL and supsequent knee recontruction.....So now not only could he not get under the car to work on it, he had to give up his part-time job as well so lost his only source of income!! As we all know, No money No resto. So now nearly 9 months down the track he started back at his part time job so hopefully things can progress a little further. Hope to get engine off to get get reconditioned over the New Year break. Looking to get them to do machine work only + supply new parts. We'll do the assembley when it's all back.

I Want to look into a HR front end. Where's the best place to look and what sort of $$ should we be expecting to pay?

Will post details of ID plate soon.

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 10:19:31 PM »

Bout 300 for a bare front end, 600 with discs or a thousand for one smick with steering back all painted up.

Whats the front end for?

57 Project

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 09:32:06 AM »

Wanted it for the disk brakes. Any suggestions?
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 11:19:01 AM »

I wouldn't bother if you are keeping the grey engine. Spend your money on essentials. The engine will cost more than you reckon by the time you get the cooling system sorted as well.
It won't cost you a fortune to have the brakes done up and they will be perfectly adequate as long as you don't tailgate.

Ken
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 11:21:34 AM »

I wouldn't bother if you are keeping the grey engine. Spend your money on essentials. The engine will cost more than you reckon by the time you get the cooling system sorted as well.
It won't cost you a fortune to have the brakes done up and they will be perfectly adequate as long as you don't tailgate.

Ken
I agree. Standard brakes good for the ol girl. Unless you go to a red engine then they are required

FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 12:09:36 PM »

Yes I agree my brakes are good and I don't have  a booster on it either.

ridgey_didge
act-club

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 02:01:09 PM »

Hi Angus,

Love the wagon - you've got a good one there.

It's your car and your decision, but as you have asked for opinions, here is mine.  I reckon that there is something very special about a car that has survived this long and is in mostly original condition.  You can't ever really take a car back to original, so that is worth preserving.

If you plan to drive it alot, then it has to be safe and comfortable, so you need to take that into account as well.  Above all, just enjoy it, whatever you decide.

Cheers
David

57 Project

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 02:32:16 PM »

Thanks for the advice. Think I will stay with the original front end for the time being. As it was pointed out, there are lots of other things to take up my hard earned $$$.
moetstockie

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 09:14:02 PM »

Hi There Angus and 57,  I have exactly the same vehicle, model and colour scheme. Best guess mine is March 1958.

Just a few points but please note these are just my opinions:

These FE wagons are 'rare as', I kept the standard everything except for the following:
a) vacuum wipers....a new bolt on 2 speed electric kit is available approx $300, vacuums are dangerous in my opinion
     Then bolt on a new repco petrol pump for $70 new. Otherwise try and find a EK preslite (hard to get) and seek Ken for his kit.
b) A 20/60 cam is cheap power
c) Extractors delivered are $200 bolt on easy power
d) 2 inch system with quiet muffler adds some power but doesn't hoon it up too much
e) My brakes are very good as long as you dust and adjust every 2-3,000 K's

I looked into the whole modification idea and without good mechanical skills you are up for some dollars. But deep down I just really love the late 50's feel to these cars.
I have had the car on the road since Oct 2011 and it is my only car and have done 12,000 miles since then. Drives like a dream and feels like yesteryear. Does 90 MPH but sits on 100k nicely. Passes cars with ease and has plenty of power.

Best o' luck with your project.    Cheers Moe`t 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: