FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:14:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Celica 5spd in Fc-how fabricate rear crossmeber?  (Read 2255 times)
R Verner
« on: June 17, 2000, 12:00:00 PM »

Just about to fit celica box in my Fc - not sure where to mount a rear  crossmember to? Thinking of welding anglline to either side of chassis  and running a cross-member from each side to surport gearbox. This would be a similar stye to later model holdens. I didnt think the box section that origanly run though the gearbox tunnel [that i have now cut out with original tunnel]would be strong enough to surrport gearbox , and was never designed for that job . Any help or suggestions muchly appeciated Thanks
Ken McLean
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2000, 12:00:00 PM »

What state are u in ?  Most states in Aus will not allow the type of mod u r talking about without an engineers report. This will require the installation of a half chassis kit to mount the rear hanger to. What u r thinking about doing sounds dangerous !    Ken
FEV008
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2000, 12:00:00 PM »

I put a 5 speed behind my V8.... I cut the floor member and boxed the ends for strength. As Ken suggested to u, I did put a 3/4 chassis in the car to hang the x member off.   Recently in an EH we chopped the floor member and used a modified original braket with heaps of strengthening and spacing blocks to correctly mount the gearbox at the correct angle. please bear in mind all this work was done in consultation with an engineer and the end result was inspected and did pass. Be careful what u weld under the floor and to the sills remembering most inner sill panels arent terribly strong anyway.  My advice is get the code of practice for light vehicle modifications from the RTA before u even think about anything.  There are codes of practice for everything including acceptable types of joints and fabrications for stressed members. By the way.. u may find u will need to replace the transmission tunnel if you want the 5 speed to fit. Measure twice cut once.... FEV008
R Verner
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2000, 12:00:00 PM »

Thanks for your answer but could you please detail further what you mean by 3/4 chassis.  What type of chassis do you use? How involved is the job?

Thanks for any help.
FEV008
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2000, 12:00:00 PM »

3/4 chassis, two parallel RHS beams bolted to the rear spring hangers running forward to the floor cross member then attached to the subframe legs.  Full Bolt in job.  Originally it was a Hadfield type kit but it was modified to suit the wagon.  If you are in the sydney area, you can have a closer look. email ed-ho@ihug.com.au PS the 3/4 chassis was installed by an engineer. involved?.. very
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: