FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 14, 2024, 10:53:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Vacuum Wipers  (Read 6468 times)
cajerridoc
sa-club

Model: FE and FC

WHAT TO DRIVE TODAY?

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2007, 08:37:34 PM »

I am after information on how to maintain the vacuum wiper motors. I know everyone changes them to electric but I have 9 registered cars and 7 of them have vacuum wipers. Thats a lot of changing and I am trying to keep them as original as possible. I have not been able to find anything in the workshop manual either and searching this site has found nothing on the topic.

Thanks
Robin

The sticker says "I'd rather push my Ford than drive a Holden". I agree, I'd rather they pushed their Ford than drive MY Holdens!
old-blu
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 01:55:04 AM »

Hi Robin. I also have a number of registered cars with vacuum wipers. As you would know , the vacuum is derived from the lower section of the fuel pump.The diaphragm in this section may need replacing.[the replacement kit is readily available].Check for air leaks in the connecting rubber tube from the vacuum pipe on the sideplate to the wiper base. The inner working of the "motor "relates to a bar which moves in pendulum fashion. The change in direction is controlled by a spring switch. If you dismantle an old motor, clean it up& re-assemble, you may surprise yourself by seeing it operate again.
The servicing relates to cleaning & replacing the inner lubricant [petroleum jelly],maintaining the vacuum diaphragm and lubricating the switch & cable from dash to motor.
I hope this helps, good luck! [watch the switch spring when you undo the small front cover-- it has a habit of flying out;never to be found again.   Cheers Old-Blu.

6th, may 1958 "I was there".
craiga
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 02:56:01 AM »

I have also found that a quick spray of WD-40 around the wiper arm pivots works wonders. The mechanism is partially exposed here and gums up, increasing the effort needed by the motor.

I'm just restoring a wiper motor for Fast Eddie and will get him to take plenty of pictures so everyone can see the pieces Kevin talks about.

Cheers,

Craig.
Damo58

old holdens never die they just go faster  :)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 04:28:48 AM »

i have just brought an fc for a play toy Grin i've been pulling it apart and found something that might be of some interest. just under the wipers i found a foot operated pump that was connected to the vacume line i have never seen one before it is made by trico in usa if someone nows anything about them or would like to buy it pm me and we will work out a price it is in excellent condition Grin Grin    damo

Iam good just ask me Smiley
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 05:30:09 AM »

This is part of a washer set up made by Nasco - It is actually the cheaper generic version rather than the one which was tailor made for FE FC. Instead of the washer bottle having the pump on top of the bottle activated by the push button on the dash, the pumping is done by a foot pump and the bottle has 2 hoses coming out of the top.

Ken
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 05:38:14 AM »

It sounds a lot like this foot operated windscreen washer, that was sold by Nasco.

Another thing to note with the vacuum wipers is that there are two different petrol pumps, the early FE type which only draws vacuum from one of the two chambers, and the later FE/FC type with 4 valves that uses both sides of the diaphragm to generate vacuum. If you buy a kit from Rares (or elsewhere), make sure you get 4 valves if that's what your pump requires.

The early type is completely useless, as opposed to the marginal efficacy of the later type, once they start to get old.

As someone else mentioned, check the rubber line from the pump to the wiper motor. If it's developed angina, replace it - that can make a significant difference.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Damo58

old holdens never die they just go faster  :)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 07:48:30 AM »

;)Thanks ken now i know what it is there is one on ebay for $200 not bad for something you have to pump by foot Grin

cheers Damo58
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 07:49:23 AM by damo58 » Logged

Iam good just ask me Smiley
cajerridoc
sa-club

WHAT TO DRIVE TODAY?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 11:31:03 AM »

Thanks guys for the info. I think the petroleum jelly may be the cure to the problem I have but it is all good info.

Robin

The sticker says "I'd rather push my Ford than drive a Holden". I agree, I'd rather they pushed their Ford than drive MY Holdens!
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 07:01:16 AM »

Just one thing on the petroleum jelly, this is good stuff because it does not react with the rubber at all, but it is fairly viscous, I have tried rubber grease with good success as well  and it is a very free flowing compound.

Ken
Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 06:54:04 PM »

Here is a photo of a dismantled vacuum wiper motor. Although I had a genuine rebuild kit, I am confident that the original parts could have been cleaned up and reused, other than the gaskets of course.

Although intricate, they wouldn't be impossible to make.

The diecast parts were degreased and scrubbed prior to being polished with a metal polish - similar to Autosol. A toothbrush was used to apply the polish compound.
oldjohnno

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 07:17:29 PM »

At the risk of being labeled a nitpicker.... petroleum jelly will attack natural rubber, despite popular opinion. It is petroleum based after all, and is no more gentle on rubber than normal oil or grease. I sometimes work with pneumatic valves and actuators, and the only lubricant that is ever used on them is a thin silicone grease. It has the advantage of being very persistent (a little bit lasts a long time) and it doesn't get thick and gummy when it is cold..

Jackass of all trades...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: