FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 12, 2024, 03:39:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ribbed brake drums  (Read 13095 times)
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2017, 04:43:33 PM »

Tend to agree Ret, Dr Terry.
Fraze,
General consensus is EJ EH drums can be slipped on to stock FB EK brake setup. The parallel radial ribs were stock on FE FC and most FB.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Fraze

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2017, 07:25:43 AM »

Well it looks like I can use the EH drums with standard steel wheels on my FB ute but before I buy them, I will try an old eh drum which a friend is loaning me just to be sure. Thanks for all the replies, cheers, Fraze
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2017, 09:31:29 AM »

That's the best idea. Look forward to hearing the outcome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2017, 04:45:44 PM »

Fraze, they do fit, I did a test fit on the weekend. I have an old rusty FB van and a EJ front end that I am fitting to my FC, I took the drums of the EJ and fitted them onto the FB front end and bolted the rims back on with no problems.
Regards, Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
Fraze

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2017, 07:28:28 AM »

I just fitted a set of new repro EH brake drums to an FB, no issues at all,  Grin. And in studying the whole situation I can't see any reason why you would not be able to use EH brake drums on an FE FC either. The only thing would be that the narrower FE FC brake linings wouldn't wipe the whole surface of the EH drum, but I cannot see that that would matter! Cheers, Fraze
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2017, 07:38:50 AM »

Fraze, they don't fit because of the extra width in the drum, when you bolt them onto the hub they bind on the backing plate.
Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2017, 07:53:38 AM »

Possibly the EH drums could be machined down for clearance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2017, 08:29:44 PM »

Yes, that's the solution proposed by another club member. In fact he's done exactly that to an FC he previously owned - bought EH repro drums and had 6mm taken off the drum edge. They fitted and worked perfectly. I passed this suggestion onto the original requestor that prompted the other thread (FE/FC Drums), and am waiting to hear the result.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Fraze

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2017, 07:27:33 AM »

Interesting comments about machining the extra width off the EH drums. Although I haven't actually tried EH drums on an FC yet so I might be going off half cocked BUT....... The extra width of the EH drums is on the mounting flange side of the drum and therefore is inside the well of the wheel!!! When I put the drums together on the bench and measure from the mounting flange to the outside rim of the drum the FC, FB and EH drums all measure the same (within a mm ) Certainly not 6mm!!! Over the next couple of days I will try an EH drum on my FC, Fraze
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2017, 08:18:23 AM »

I think the difference will be in the FC backing plate Fraze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: