FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 12, 2024, 10:11:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Chrome Plating  (Read 12083 times)
Ken's 57
nsw-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2003, 07:46:58 AM »

I have just got a bumper bar back from a chrome plater and its full of linishing marks and uneven spots. Can anyone recommend a GOOD firm in the Sydney area PLEASE?
ChrisB

"Shiny Bits"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2003, 08:02:28 AM »

HI Ken,
have a look at Grahams grille badge or rets fathers grille badge, If you like that call Shane at Electroplating Technologies in Queanbeyan.
I believe its worth the effort,

PS I dont get a commission on recommendations I am just happy with his work

Cheers ChrisB  Cool
slim
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Ring 0420768346 for genuine FE/FC parts.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2003, 08:15:57 AM »

If you want someone in the western suburbs , A guy at Liverpool is pretty good . There called Ultimate Shine. And there opposite the Collingwood Hotel on the Hume Highway at Liverpool. And no , I dont get a commision either. Whos the chrome plater that give it back with linishing marks, For future reference , and did you tell him , maybe he was unawares to it . Cause in that business , word of mouth is very powerful , as seen here !

Im located at Liverpool, NSW
craiga
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2003, 08:59:44 PM »

Ken,

I got some die cast done at a place in Sydney and it is absolute crap. Because of the time restraints of my build I haven't had a chance to return to the company to complain but will do so as soon as I return from QLD. If they can't/won't help with a reasonable resolution Dept Fair Trading here we come. $450.00 to rechrome 5 bits that come back looking like someone has thrown sand in it is just not good enough.

If anyone in Sydney is thinking of getting chrome done send me a P.M and I'll name the place. If they don't fix it I'll post their full details here, and everywhere else I can find!!!

Cheers,

Craig.
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2003, 09:03:25 PM »

Ken,
The Grille badge that was done in Queenbeyan with Chris's much appreciated assistance looks absolutley great.I would recommend this guy to anyone needing chrome plating done.And I don't get commission either.
Regards,
Graham Wink
gp

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2003, 01:15:58 AM »

Hi guys,
I can also reiterate how pleased I am with the work of electroplating technologies in Queanbeyan. They rechromed everything on my FC, and also did all the zinc/cad plating. The die-cast stuff is excellent (headlight rims, tail light rims, fins, door handles, grille & boot badges).

They were recommended to me by a bloke with 2 '28 Buicks.

Cheers,

Graham Pryce
Ken's 57
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2003, 05:50:49 AM »

Thanks for the advice everyone. I spoke to Shane @ Electroplating Technology in Queanbeyan. He can't do anything over a metre in length but said that all his large work goes to Hamilton Chrome in Newcastle and that the results have been excellent. He won't use anyone in Sydney apparently. I spoke to Frank at Hamilton Chrome and I think I'll give him a try next month. I'll post the results when the job's done. Has anyone used Hamilton before????

Cheers..Ken K
ChrisB

"Shiny Bits"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2003, 07:22:39 AM »

Just a question, whats over a metre on an FC, if rechroming your bumpers you have to ptake out the rivets anyway ??

Cheers ChrisB
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2003, 11:55:48 AM »

i was wondering if you went and complained about the bad job and what was there responce?

Ken's 57
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2003, 12:27:39 AM »

The bar's not off the FE Chris - I haven't begun that restoration yet. The bar is off an earlier project. I intend to speak to the guy concerned as soon as I get a second opinion on the job quality. The bar was delivered to my work and I was flat out so I wasn't able to get a really decent look at it till I got home. I'm not inclined to give him a second go at it either. I'll be asking for a refund I think.
2brite
wa-club

Cruizin's devine in a '59

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2003, 10:15:14 AM »

Chrome platers are like politicions
You might find 1 out of 10 that are descent.
I had my f and r bumpers done 3 times and they still came out crap,   {to my standards}
i got sick and tired and i just gave up on them.

Cheers  2brite :-/

nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2003, 11:12:35 AM »

i once worked at a chrome platers in North RD Clayton in the mid eighties,if the parts came out with swirl marks you would never see them,as the boss would kick your ass and then redo them before ringing the customer,
How times must have changed

ChrisO

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2003, 10:34:57 AM »

I have just had a pair of FC bumpers chromed at Hamilton Plating in Newcastle and the results are excellent, and the price was reasonable when compared to other quotes.  I would definitely recommend them.
Ken's 57
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2003, 05:29:23 AM »

Cheers Chris. I'll give Hamilton a go. Wink
OB1666

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 06:26:47 AM »

I have just had a FC front bar, Grille and the door handles chromed at Chromeworld in Fyshwick, ACT and I highly recommend them it all came out 100% compared to most other work I have seen.
There number is (02)6280 4265  
moppo

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007, 07:54:16 AM »

Mate go to hamilton chrome. I am on my Second resto & his work is all first class. He is a little dearer than the other chrome plater in newcastle but it is worth it. on my last build i did try the other bloke  Sad , because of price.needles to say Hamliton  Grin re did the job after the other bloke stuffed if
TTV6FC
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007, 08:58:48 AM »

Hi guys.When getting rechroming done,do most companies do the prep work first, ie do they remove blemishes,rust,pits on cast metal etc or do you have to supply the bits all ready to go?Can anyone recommend someone in SA?Cheers,Jamie.

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2007, 11:32:29 AM »

AFAIK, chrome platers do the lot, you take the piece in and they sort it out. All the chrome needs removing before repairs and polishing anyway.
I had all my chrome done at Windsor Platers who where way cheaper than anyone else at the time and I am very happy with the work. One piece flaked some chrome when I polished it, I took it back and they sorted it out straight away, no fuss.
If you are after concourse/show quality they may not guarantee that for you. A-Class at Lonsdale are supposedly pretty good and ChromeMasters in Elizabeth(?) have a bit of rep too, but I haven't had work done at either.

NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2007, 10:27:38 PM »

ive heard hamilton is pricey but  they have been running for years and have a name for perfection and quality.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: