FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 11, 2024, 05:20:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fitting a headlining to an FC  (Read 11917 times)
sharpeidog

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2011, 03:37:12 PM »

G'day all.

Newbie here, first post, by all means tune me in if I get it wrong......

I have an FC project on the go and looking for advice on fitting a new headlining. Can it be done by a novice, i.e. me? Anything to look or watch out for? Seems you can buy a lining easily enough, can anyone advise what they think a fair price should be to have one fitted on site? Can anyone recommend/suggest a trimmer near the Mornington Peninsula who might be worth sussing out?

Cheers......
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 09:25:17 PM »
+1

First - read the manual - it gives invaluable information on how to straighten the side clips out and generally how to do the install.
If you are fitting a new lining it is very important to get the clips straight.
You start in the centre with the short bows and work forwards then backwards.
The front is relatively easy but needs some heat with a hair dryer near the visor screws.
Use lots of clamps around the screen opening and then glue so it is even.
The back is harder because it needs more heat and stretching down the pillars.

Ken
sharpeidog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 08:36:46 PM »

Thanks Ken,

Yes I have had a good read of the manual, it gives a good insight into what needs to be done. Although the Headlining Retainer Straightening Tool (or lack of one) is a worry. Making one of these could be an intersting exercise. It is also a bit unclear in it's use, I assume from the diagram that you just tap it along the retainer teeth and it will uniformly reposition the teeth?

I might have a go at it myself, although I'm thinking the manual makes it seem simpler than it may actually be in reality. Is windlace necessary do you think? Or can a moulded edging be used it it's place?

Appreciate your help.....

Cheers, Ian.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 08:50:46 PM »

You don't really need the tool - using a screwdriver as a lever and a pair of multigrips as a straightener will do OK. In my opinion windlace is the only real way to finish the edge of the headlining properly.

Ken
sharpeidog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 07:53:25 AM »

Well I'm going to give the headlining a go myself, currently have one being made up at the trimmers. But now the next issue is windlace. I have made some enquiries, but seems it is now quite hard to get. So by all means, if anyone has any black lace available I'm all ears.

Cheers.....
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 08:44:47 AM »

Plain black windlace = http://www.daleys.com.au
They should have a store in your state.

sharpeidog

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 10:14:53 AM »

Perfect....... Thanks Stinky, appreciate it.
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 11:11:10 AM »

Hi Ian, don't be daunted in fitting headlining/ windlacing I'm no trimmer but tackled it myself just take your time. I did mine over two days front first then rear. I gave the glue time to set and the lining a chance to stretch. As Ken said start in the middle front first then rear.
As far as tools go one of the handier tools I used for the windlacing is an old dull edge cheese knife yep you read right. Plastic filler blades as long as they are strong work very well too, as you will have to push the headlining up between the teeth and body. Be gentle and don't force it.
 Just have a look around shed or even kitchen you will be surprised what you can improvise.( just don't get caught using good kitchen items Wink )

And when it comes time to secure it all with the little teeth I used a rubber mallet with cloth wrapped around the head, this worked well.

I was also put onto a good tip if the headlining is showing some creases or you need to set it properly.
Fill a electric jug full of water place it on something firm in the centre of car and let it boil. Just keep an eye on it. The steam will help it all settle. But again as mentioned an old hairdryer is invaluable to soften the vinyl while working.

Hope this helps

Dean

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
sharpeidog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 11:41:05 AM »

Hi Dean, thanks for the info.

First of all, I like the color of your FC, uncanny really, as mine is Fowlers Ivory over Cosmo  Grin.

I will admit I am a little toey but keen as well about fitting it, as you say, take my time and don't rush it.

So you fitted the bows and centred the lining, fixed the centre bows to the pins on the light rail and the rest of the bows in turn, then worked the lining tight towards the front before trimming and glueing? Let that set and start on the rear, drawing it tight, trimming and then glueing?

Two things. Did you use anything to clip the lining in place around the front and rear windows? (The manual shows bulldog clips being used.) And did you set the teeth rail fairly tight to the body so the windlace was a snug fit and then tuck the lining in?

I like the idea of a plastic filler blade, I have visions of a steel putty knife going through the lining for some reason  Embarrassed  Although if that happened it would be my own silly fault.

Sorry about all the questions, just want to do it right first time.

Ian.
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 12:22:29 PM »

Hi Ian, don't worry about asking questions mate that's what we are all here for isn't it.
Yep you've got the proceedure spot on I fitted all the bows to the headlining first then bow by bow worked forward just make sire they are straight when securing them. I used some strong small clamps or good strong bulldog clips will do. If you are concerned they may cut through the vinyl wrap some tape around them masking tape or similar will do.
Somtimes with the bows you may find you will need to pull them forward from the centre to apply tension and get the lining to stretch. You will see what I mean when your in there.

First step before you do anything though is to gently pull the teeth away from the panel this is time consuming and sometimes painful but do them ALL, all the way around the car on both sides. I used a couple of different tools for this, several flat tip screwdrivers (taped) etc. I think I lost a couple through age and rushing.
I did the headlining first as it was a while before I could get the windlacing. Just don't push the teeth too far closed as you will need to push the windlacing up tight into the gap then tap into place.

I also used an old wooden spoon handle with the spoon bit removed just below where it dishes out and then filed it down to get a narrow flat head this came in handy to get into some tighter spots.
There is also a slot at the front of the front door jams and at the rear of the back that will need to be widened for the windlacing to sit in. Be careful here if your car is freshly painted.
Apart from all that it's pretty self explanatory just sit back have a look around and set a strategy.

Should mention to that before you put the headlining up put some dynamat or similar product on the roof this will reduce noise,heat and any drumming.if you can't afford dynamat then some foil backed foam ( insulating foam from Clark rubber will do. Another thing to remember is to put some thin foam on the inside of the C pillar, where the Jesus straps go.

Nearly forgot leave the screws in place for the interior light, sun visors or any other area. I found it really easy then to find them again. Jus need to make a very careful little cut to get a screwdriver blade in then remove screws and install sun visors.

Sorry if a little longwinded.

Anything else don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck.
Dean

sharpeidog

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 12:53:04 PM »

Longwinded is good mate, can't have too much detail. I like lots of detail......

So the teeth, you push them away from the body of the car to open the gap? If they are levered back, how then do they effectively grip the liner and hold it in place? This is really the only bit I am struggling to picture.

Ian.
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 01:26:27 PM »

That's where the filler blade comes in. You push the headlining up into the gap and the teeth will bite into the vinyl. I'm trying to remember as best I can but it was a while ago. I'm pretty sure I went bows first, front, rear then sides. Then wind lace.
As I said I'm no trimmer but everyone who has seen my lining says it's spot on.

Someone should be able to confirm the order for you.

Dean.

I just had a look and remembered leave the screws in for rear view mirror also.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: