FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 15, 2024, 01:25:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC blinker wiring  (Read 7981 times)
lucky_gwen

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2008, 02:30:30 PM »

The original 3 pin flasher has been changed to a 2 pin flasher and we cant seem to get them working. The wiring is a nightmare. We can get them to blink manually but for some reason they wont work with the blinker shift.

Any help would be appreciated as my rego inspection runs out on January 4 and the blinkers are the only things that need fixing.

Thanks
Janette
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 04:49:27 PM »

Janette, without being able to look at the car and trace wiring, it is virtually impossible to diagnose. If it were mine I would remove the wiring and reinstall as per the manual with a 3 pin flasher. The FC blinker stick mechanism has been built in such a way that the flashers operate through the tail lights, if you don't have an FC column then I would wire the blinkers as per the manual for the car that the column comes out of.

Perhaps if you could advise what column you have and what blinker mechanism and where the rear flashers are (tail light or below) then we could help some more.

Ken
lucky_gwen

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 09:40:47 PM »

Just got an email from Jason, whom we bought it off, and he said that the blinker harness on it is no good. We will pull hte one off the spare FC out the front and fit it. The car now has an FC steering column.

Hopefully once we change the blinker harness they will work.

Cheers
Janette
lucky_gwen

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 01:39:56 PM »

Well we re-wired the other blinker harness.

The front blinkers work perfectly.

But the back blinkers both blink together.

Any suggestions???

Janette
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 04:35:01 PM »

Check the earthing of the tail light holders, run an alligator clip lead from the globe holder to a good earth to make sure they are earthing.

Ken
lucky_gwen

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 09:54:56 PM »

Checked the earthing and all is well.

Very frustrating.

Might have to take it to an electrician to have a look at it.

Anyone from Canberra know a cheap electrician?Huh

Or anyone from Canberra know anything about electrical wiring???

Cheers
Janette
ridgey_didge
act-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 10:06:44 AM »

Janette,

I don't know about cheap, because I have only used him for a trailer connection, but the guy under the old servo at Jamison often has old cars in his bays.  He may be interested in looking at it, whereas some places just won't touch old cars. Give him a call and get a quote maybe.

Good luck
David

brett_f

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 11:28:19 AM »

Jannet,
Just a long shot as it could be anything. Do both the rear globes have twin terminals? Do both globe holders have twin inner terminals to suit a twin terminal globe?
Hope this helps.
Regards brett
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 08:42:20 PM »

Janette - if earths are both good, then go right back to the wires coming out of the column. The pink and viloet are the 2 rear indicator wires. Attach a test lamp directly and test each one separately.
If no good unhook the white wire from the column and test again. This is the brake light override.
If still no good & the fronts work perfectly and the tell tales work perfectly then I would assume the switch is faulty.
Basically with electrical problems, keep going further back in the circuit until you have isolated everything.

Ken
lucky_gwen

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 03:18:34 PM »

Thanks for you help

We tested both pink and violet with a test lamp and the lamp blinked on both colours.

Unhooked the white wire and the test lamp still blinked on both colours. Brake lights didn't work.

What are the 'tell tales' exactly??? And what switch are you talking about.

Janette
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 05:56:09 PM »

Tell tales = little green arrows on the dash to tell you the blinkers are, well, blinking.

If both rear bulbs are flashing then it sounds like the left and right brake light circuits have been bridged somewhere. If you have a look in the electrical section of the Workshop Manual there is a very clear explanation of the switch (behind the steering wheel, at the other end of the blinker stalk), and how the various combinations of left/right with/without brakes should light/flash the rear lights.

Hope that helps.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 07:07:16 PM »

As RET has said. You have now eliminated faults through the wiring into the rear of the car and the brake lights as well. (Unhooking the white wire will stop the brake lights working but also checks to make sure something in the brake circuit is not affecting the blinkers). The next step is to replace the switch (you need to remove the steering wheel to get it out). This should be tested first by obtaining a spare, not installing it, but just hooking it up to the wires in your car and operating it on the floor of the car.
If you can get the indicators to work correctly with another switch then you would go ahead and replace it.

Ken

ps - if it turns out that the switch is faulty, don't remove it before getting instructions about what not to do.
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 09:05:49 PM »

Janette, how did you go? I have spare switches here. I have sent you a PM.
Colin.

colt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: