FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:51:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: tailshaft for trimatic  (Read 6139 times)
BAZZA

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2007, 06:40:49 AM »

GIDDAY EVERYONE I'VE BEEN USING THIS SITE FOR INFO FOR A FEW MONTHS NOW. I HAVE A FC SEDAN AND I'M PUTTING IN A 202 AND TRIMATIC IT HAS A HR DISC FRONTEND AND HR REAR END. I HAVE BEEN OFFERED A TAILSHAFT THAT IS IN AN EJ WITH THE SAME SET UP EXCEPT WITH EJ REAR END WILL IT FIT THE FC, ALSO WILL THE GEARBOX CROSSMEMBER BE THE SAME, THE FC HAS AN AUTO HUMP FITTED. REGARDS BAZZA
fc4me

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 11:47:57 AM »

Bazza i'm using an EJ diff housing in one of my FC utes. It bolted straight in and then you can bolt your hr brake backing plates onto it without modifing anything. Sorry, i did have to change the handbrake cable too.
BAZZA

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 09:34:07 PM »

THANKS FOR REPLYING fc4me. THE HR REAREND IS ALREADY IN THE CAR IT HAS BEEN PAINTED THE BODY COLOUR SO I NOT KEEN ON CHANGING IT. BUT IS THE ONE YOU HAVE IN YOUR UTE BEHIND A TRIMATIC THEN A MEASUREMENT OF THE LENGTH OF THE TAILSHAFT MIGHT BE ALL I NEED.
fc4me

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 10:06:57 PM »

Bazza if you have a spare gearbox yoke just ask the blokes at hardie spicer or whoever does your tail shafts and they should be able to give you a measurement of how far out the yoke needs to be, from right in, on the end of the gearbox then its a simple job of measuring between the centre of the uni joint, caps. Hope it helps
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 10:32:47 PM »

hey Bazza,

here's some info on how to measure a driveshaft correctly.

I use and recommend Sydney driveline.. they fixed up a bad job for me, and they did it cheaper and quicker too.

the slip yoke should be approx 3/4 inch (or close to) out from totally in to allow for suspension movement.

look here for more details.

http://www.sydneydriveline.com/car_measure.html

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 02:16:57 AM »

Bazza, I have a 186 in an FE with Trimatic. Tailshaft was custom built to suit and measures 1265mm between the centre of each uni.
My engine is back as far as it will go since I have eliminated the accelerator linkages and replaced them with a cable, so even if your engine is a little further forward, this measurement should be OK since the tailshaft can only just be removed when the rear is on full droop. I would take another 5 mm off my tailshaft if I was making it again, just to make it a little easier to remove when on a hoist.
Ken
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 02:22:49 AM »

Re the gearbox crossmember, what is the auto hump out of in your FC?  I would doubt that the crossmember will fit even if you floor is from an EJ as you would have to be extremely lucky to have lined up the floor with the gearbox mount.
I used an EK Auto floor and a modified HR crossmember to mount the rear of the Trimatic.  The HR crossmember has a very nice handbrake centre member which I also used so that the ugly FE centre bracket could be eliminated.

Ken
BAZZA

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 08:34:13 AM »

THANKS EVERYONE . KEN HAS GIVEN ME THE RIGHT INFO I CAN NOW CHECK THE LENGTH OF THE TAILSHAFT TO SEE IF THE LENGTH IS RIGHT. I'M NOT SURE WHAT HUMP IS IN THE FC BUT AM TOLD BY THE MATE I GOT IT FROM IT WAS PUT IN TO TAKE A TRIMATIC. ONE LAST THING IF THE TAILSHAFT IS THE RIGHT LENGTH WOULD THE REAR UNI FROM THE EJ FIT ONTO THE HR DIFF.
REGARDS BAZZA
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 10:49:08 AM »

No EJ rear uni wont fit HR diff - you will need to swap to the HR type which is a pretty easy job

Ken
BAZZA

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 09:31:00 PM »

THANKS KEN THATS ALL MY QUESTIONS ANSWERED.
REGARDS BAZZA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: