FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:43:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: WTB - FC fuel pump, water pump, brake master/slaves, clutch master/slave etc.  (Read 5499 times)
stapla

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2008, 11:07:14 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I'll be working on a old family airloom over xmas.  Its a FC thats been sitting around for 10years +

Basically I need to swap out all the bits that don't like sitting around and get it at least driving around the block.

Eg FC fuel pump, water pump, brake master and slaves, clutch master/slave etc.

Ideally I'm after working condition bits at a reasonable price.  Budget is tight, and although I'd like all brand new gear, I need to comprise.

Let me know via email pmitchell@comunet.com.au if you can help.

CHeers
Peter.

FCOV6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 08:17:50 PM »

Why dont you just pull each component off one at a time, check them out and fit new seals or have reco'd ?
waynos

Model: FC

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 10:38:27 PM »

unfortunately none of of these things are reasonably priced anymore,we all want it cheap but it aint gonna happen
how long has it been sitting ?.  you may not need to fix half the things you are told.if i listened to idiots my engine would be out still.my car sat for 10 years plus and it runs perfect

The grinder is mightier than the sword.
stapla

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 08:18:10 AM »

Thanks for the tips guys.  I know the water pump is seized solid, and not much left of the impeller.  From memory brakes and clutch weren't working.  Took a while to get the seized drums off the shoes due to brake fluid leaking.  Fuel pump wasn't pumping either.

I've only got a few days window to get it moving.  Hoping someone would have a bunch of this gear sitting in their parts bin from a donor car etc.  May have to consider new gear if can't source 2nd hand.

Cheers
Peter.
waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 01:30:22 AM »

a brand new water pump is about 35 bucks

stapla

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 11:00:32 AM »

Thanks Waynos - where can I get a new one for $35 ?
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 12:44:32 PM »

I think $95 is closer to the mark - ebay sellers "buy it now" price. This is one item you really should put on new unless you can get one off a motor which was only very recently running - it simply isn't worth the hassle of using an old one. For the fuel pump you could get away with a second hand one, but master and slave cylinders would also have to be new or come off a car just recently decommissioned, anything that's been in a box for a few months cant be refitted without problems down the track.  We are now talking about brakes which you don't want failing - especially single circuit brakes.
The fuel pump is different, if it fails - you stop. If your brakes fail - You don't stop - Big Difference Cry

I appreciate that all this costs money - These cars are not for those that can't afford to maintain them properly or trying to find shortcuts. The cheap fix up and run car now is an early Commodore

Ken
stapla

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 07:57:30 PM »

Thanks for the input guys.

I didn't fully explain my objectives.  The main aim is to get the car running and ideally able to complete a lap of the block with my grandparents (country area).

My elderly grandparents have had the car since new, and would be great to see their faces as we drive slowly around the block with them in it.  Would be great to get this done while their health is reasonable.

Aim 2, is for it to be able to drive onto a car trailer, reverse off safely etc.

Over the course of 12months or so the car will be fully restored and registered.  At this stage I'll be fitting all new parts, especially brakes etc.

Cheers
Peter.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 09:34:24 PM »

So Peter, what state are you in?

A working fuel pump should be easily picked up, $10 or so. s/h water pump that still spins and isn't rusted - same price. You should be able to buy new seals for master and slave cylinders from Repco etc quite cheaply - clean the bores with about 800 wet and dry and fit the new seals - wont work for long but long enough for you to accomplish aim 1 and 2. Make sure hand brake is working - just in case.

You should be able to get all these things running for about $50 as long as you are going to replace them all later.

Ken - I have all these parts available - I am in Vic.
waynos

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 02:59:44 PM »

i got my water pump for a red motor in blacktown robbos spares i am sure it was under 40 bucks,maybe the grey motor ones are more expensive

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 03:38:55 PM »

They certainly are - red pump is very easily obtained from every parts supplier in Australia - the grey one is much harder to find and much more expensive.

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: