FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:56:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Sad day for holden  (Read 12937 times)
collecta
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2013, 03:03:37 PM »

As reported on 7 news just now holden to cease local production from 2017 Cry Cry Cry

i collect old holdens coz they never die!
Stewy
sa-club

Model: FE

FErgus 1957 FE Special Station Sedan

Jeff Stewart
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 03:36:05 PM »

Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

That's the end to all large scale manufacturing companies in Oz  Angry

We should piss off GM and go back to Australian owned and run.

(Rant over for now)

Stewy   Cool

No matter how much you push the envelope, It'll still be stationery
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 04:40:51 PM »

Could explain why the PM has placed an order with BMW for the replacement of the Statesman that has been the main ride for the last few years.
Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
zl296

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 05:00:59 PM »

we will have the biggest dole queue in the world soon.... Roll Eyes

R.I.P holden... Cry

die young and leave a good looking corpse...
fink

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 06:17:53 PM »

Send all the Indians,boat people and asylum seekers back home and there will be jobs for everyone.
Australian and proud of it  Kiss 
TMO anyway!
Stewy
sa-club

Jeff Stewart
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 06:46:29 PM »
+2

Jim, as reported in our advertiser this morning their fleet of eight year old caprices doesn't meet the foreign leaders standards for terror attacks.
The only option of a semi local car was a retro fitted later model caprice by british aerospace at $800,000 each or a ground up model based on a holden chassis costing $1.2 million dollars each. The off the shelf BMW high security 7 series are $525,000 each. The government is damned if they do and damned if they don't. How much outcry would there be if they went the dearer option. Everybody wants cheaper cars and this is the cost of doing business.  The world trade free agreements are crap. I'm all for going back in time and keeping Australia self sufficient and forget the rest of the world. Food is next! if we cant feed ourselves first whats the point.

Only my point of view. I blame our state government to a degree. power prices and taxes are through the roof here so the costs of doing business is prohibitive.

Cheers Stewy   Cool

Paul In Ireland
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 02:28:36 AM »

Place a small tariff on all car imports (3 to 5%) and use this to fund the 3 car manufacturers here. Cost the people nothing but a slight increase of a few hundred bucks if they buy a new car.

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 07:29:49 AM »

I can't understand why they don't have a tariff, it seems every other country has the right idea to protect their local car industry except Australia  Huh

HAD 708

Holdens and the Mighty Woodsmen truly magnificent

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 12:54:39 PM »

Guys
This all started with the "Senator Button" plan in the late 80's and now as the market is completely stuffed and overloaded with cheap imports having no tariffs at all we are left with a cluster @#$%ed car industry! we are in for some tough times in the next few years I think I believe we are on the way to a massive recession and this will be the start of it. Free trade is a joke and the last 30 years of Australian governments of both sides have a lot to answer for! we are now standing buy watching Asia buy what it likes domestic and commercial in real estate with no parity or tariff or extra taxes, try doing that in china, Japan or India. God help our kids!!! Power prices and other utilities owned by multi national companies will continue to rise pushing out manufacturing totally! Small business and households are the next to cop the massive price increases that will continue over the next decade. My dad said 30 years ago "sell the farm {country} at your peril" , how true!!
Brett

Brett Gillard
collecta
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 05:15:16 PM »

Well said Brett.

I found a for sale add on gumtree last night for the GMH Elizabeth plant contact was Mike Devereux % billionnow been deleted

collecta
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 05:16:20 PM »

that was meant to be 5 billion  Shocked

fink

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 05:31:35 PM »

So in 4yrs time,where gunna be roaring around Bathurst in Chevies,just can't wait for that Cool Cool Cool Cool :-*bring it on!
GM

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 05:41:25 PM »

Our Holdens may go up in price, trying to be optimistic  Smiley

Upon the hill there stood a cow.
It must have moved, It's not there now.
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 08:12:49 PM »
+1

fink, the Holden factories have always offered a job to Australian migrants, your thinly veiled racism is misguided here. Holden would not be the success it has been without the efforts of thousands of new Australians over the decades.

I also don't think it's fair to blame the Button review. If it wasn't for the changes that forced on the industry in the 80s and 90s, I think Holden would likely have folded a long time ago.

The GFC and the high exchange rate for the Aussie dollar buggered the export market, and too many people have chosen to buy imported vehicles, again largely due to the $A.

I think it's desperately sad that Holden will be closing, and I think the cost of them going will dwarf the cost of federal government assistance to keep them here, but anyone who has bought a foreign car rather than a locally manufactured one in the last decade has to accept they have played a part in the local industry's demise.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
fink

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 09:10:43 PM »

Kiss
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 09:33:33 PM »

Combined with the Ford plans & Toyota concerns, I agree - "the cost of them going will dwarf the cost of federal government assistance to keep them here." The impact will expand broadly while many businesses reliant on the motor industry wither away. Let's hope the tables turn before the doors are closed forever.

Dave
0417 270 315
Stewy
sa-club

Jeff Stewart
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 09:41:41 PM »

The figure that they were after was 560 million dollars. 80 million dollars per year for the next 7 years just to keep going.
With all the other pledges it was to be 1.1 billion dollars or 160 million a year.

Cheers Stewy   Cool

DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 09:59:36 PM »

I wonder how that really compares to the cost of paying for unemployment and the loss in taxes collected for the entire industry workforce impacted.
Perhaps within that 7 years there would opportunities missed to build on an existing industry & turn it around to become a real asset to the country again.
The global economic climate will eventually improve & those who can hang in there will prosper.
If it goes, I also wonder what could fill the void.
I don't think I'll be around long enough to see the Australian motor industry re-emerge from scratch.

Dave
0417 270 315
surferboy
wa-club
Guru

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2013, 12:01:08 AM »

How long will it be before the Holden badge disappears completely ?  Shocked

Listening to the GM boss on the telly..  He said the Holden name will be around for a long time
What's "a long time" in automotive boss speak ?  2020  Huh

Will there be a National Day of mourning when the last Aussie built car rolls of the production line ?  Cry
Will my boss let me take a week off work as bereavement leave ?  Cheesy

Cool Cool Cool

cruisin's great with a 58
fink

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2013, 08:55:23 AM »

So we think outside the square and ask ourselves ,do we wan't to save the car industry here in OZ ?or do we save GMH.I will definately feel the 'knifes'going in ,but if we are serious,pride has to take a back seat for once.So Holden and Ford combine as ''ONE'',and we become'' ABC ''
AustralianBuiltCars.For once working together and being a competitive force here in Australia.Can you imagine Bathurst,US against The rest of the World,sounds 'crazy'but crazier things have happened. Angry
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: