FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:18:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC PMG Van Resto Project  (Read 69404 times)
Gman

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2014, 06:53:45 PM »

Is that a pull-to handle on the rh door? Im sure i read in don lofflers book that if it had no lh door that the rh door was disabled?...
Stewy
sa-club

FErgus 1957 FE Special Station Sedan

Jeff Stewart
View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2014, 09:25:34 PM »

Ken, this might not be the one you saw if you mean  the one that Jonno talked about from November 2005.
The build # from that one was FC2104-S10-7218-A
Gman's build # is FC2104-S10-7186-A

Cheers Stewy   Cool   (apprentice nit picker)  Smiley

No matter how much you push the envelope, It'll still be stationery
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2014, 09:40:03 PM »

There are two versions as DJ says. The mail van is the one with the door removed. If the FC codes follow the FJ system (may or may not) then the ACC code should be 314 for a mail van. Service vans were simpler and this is most likely what you have. The ACC code on yours is just 333, whereas I have other PMG van details which have more codes after the 333. I would think the service van has the "PMG" on the door.
I have read Don's book and it is not as simple as transferring details for FJ across to FC as the coding and requirements changed.
The picture is fantastic because it is a period picture. There is a door pull handle on the drivers door so it must have opened. Wheels do look like they are black (this lines up with FJ specification).
Hope this is making sense.

Ken
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2014, 10:20:10 PM »

No mistake Stewy, body number 7218 is the one from Bendigo wrecking yard. Before the yard was cleaned out this van was a total wreck, both rust wise and stripped for parts.
I have a note in my book alongside the details of Gman's van where I saw it and when.
No coincidence about the closeness of numbers though.
GMH must have run them as a batch. I have the following bodies recorded
7186. Ballarat swap
7187. ID plate from the Internet
7215. Wrecked by Slim (this number supplied by Slim)
7218. Bendigo wreck
I would suggest that these were all run together as a batch of at least 32 vans.
Ken
Stewy
sa-club

FErgus 1957 FE Special Station Sedan

Jeff Stewart
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2014, 10:57:09 PM »

Fantastic info Ken.  Smiley
When are you going to write the book?
You cant let Don Loffler have all the fun.
All of this info can be lost to history far too easily and needs to be documented for those FE/FC lovers that are yet to be born.  Smiley

Cheers Stewy   Cool

No matter how much you push the envelope, It'll still be stationery
customFC
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2014, 11:33:34 AM »

Thanks for your contribution Ken....always fascinating.

Here's another pic of a PMG van from the left side.
Not very big, but you can make out the different signwriting and the left door.

Regards
Alex

Gman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2014, 12:06:17 PM »

Could someone define for me what a 'Service van' is, did it travel around and repair postal vehicles? or did it carry mail from depot to depot?
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2014, 12:15:16 PM »

PMG was also the Telephone company in those days. The gear carried around was used by the technicians to install & service phones and work in the exchanges, lines etc.

Dave
0417 270 315
FE_UTE
wa-club

Model: FE and FC

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2014, 11:28:33 PM »
+1

Hey Gman it also looks like the fuel cap is also painted in Kens pic
I have the next number to yours (plate only)

Ken

FC2104S10-7187-A with the 333 option is a plate in my shed

It came from a burnt out wreck in the south west of WA

However it gives more ammo for the limited batch run

Cheers Gary

Gman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2015, 09:56:20 PM »

I have the van home and have given it a thorough clean inside and out (will post photos soon) washed all the moss off and vacumed out all the floor pans, i mean rust Grin it doesn't seem to have any holes where a wind deflector would have been on the lh a pillar so i am thinking that the lh door may be original.

I have some questions though... The id plate seems to have the original rivets but isn't painted? What colour is the engine bay supposed to be (including firewall) a mates ute that is unrestored is black, this seems it could have been red?

Anyone have any ideas as to what make of tyres would have been fitted to these?

P.s the lh quarter window has a rego sticker on it from circa 1960 thats in rreeaallllyyy bad shape, we have been playing with a high tec digital camera to try to decifier the old rego number!!! Have got half of the info off the label already!
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2015, 08:16:56 AM »

Some ID plates are painted, others are not. General rule (there are exceptions) Melbourne and Adelaide bodies have painted plates whilst Sydney plates are unpainted. I had a look through my collection of body plates (about 60) and found a couple of unpainted Melbourne plates, one unpainted Adelaide plate and a painted Sydney plate. Without a detailed analysis I would guess the factories changed processes during the years of production to either putting the plate on or off before painting the firewall. Later models always had unpainted plates so this seems to be the general trend or direction.
Same with firewall colour. General rule (there are exceptions) 1956 cars had body colour firewall and black inner skirts. Somewhere in 1957 this chaged to body coloured firewall and body coloured skirts and this continued into 1958. In 1959 a universal change to black firewall and skirts occurred and this remained for a long while through FB and onwards. Once again some factories didn't follow these patterns, now we are talking about five assembly plants painting car engine bays rather than just three factories producing bodies, so lots of variations can occur.
Most tyres fitted at the factory were Olympic Air ride or Dunlop B7 (yes exceptions did occur)
You will be lucky if you can get the label info as this will give you engine number and rego date as well

Ken

Gman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2015, 10:37:23 AM »

FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2015, 10:50:39 AM »

Hey GMan looks like a good start and with a story as well got to love that I have a tailgate emblem that I got from an old tailgate when I was looking for one for my ek ute if you are interested.

Regards
Neil H
Gman

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2015, 11:01:49 AM »

yes Neil, very interested, thankyou, could you pm me with details please.

While we are talking about parts, I'm looking for a top tailgate complete with all hardware (hinges, glass, brackets, etc..)
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2015, 11:13:11 AM »

GMan;
I will pm you re the tailgate emblem and if the fb ek upper is the same for the fc their is a guy over here that has a bonnet and an upper and he is only asking 100 ono for both I am happy to have a look for you if they are the same I know you dont need the bonnet (is FB/EK) but at that price it may be worth picking up has the glass as well.

Regards
Neil H
Gman

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2015, 12:50:25 PM »

Thanks Neil, but the FB EK top tail gate is very different Cry the FC bottom tailgate must be opened first and FB EK is vise-versa.

I just noticed that I didn't mention anything about the photo of the mirror in the rear (see above a couple of posts) does anyone have any thoughts on that? the brackets seem to be a little rough (home made) but not sure....

JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2015, 02:06:59 PM »

G'day Gman,

This is on Ebay at the moment.....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOLDEN-UPPER-TAIGATE-FE-FC-S-WAG-P-VAN-/321633566276?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ae2dabe44

Cheers,
Graeme
collecta
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2015, 02:20:18 PM »

Hi Gman, fb ek wagon are the same upper tailgates as fe fc wagon and van. Fb ek van tailgate upper are totally different. Fb ek lower wagon tailgates fit also just different pressing for the centre badge.
cheers
Scott

i collect old holdens coz they never die!
GMHwagoon

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2015, 03:39:36 PM »

gman
         theres a bloke in bacchus marsh  he's got  a fc wagon  drives it around town
         l recon if you ask him nicely  he may have a  top tailgate, might even have some glass
         and if your really cashed up he might even have a newly chromed tailgate badge

thanks    me

Gman

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2015, 04:25:14 PM »

Are you talking about the bloke who I ran over in the Torana, gmhwagon? Smiley

If so, would you consider a couple of beers for delivery (and to check out the car) I promise not to drive anything when you come...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: