FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 13, 2024, 04:29:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: welding doorskins  (Read 2836 times)
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2005, 07:57:57 AM »

I just thought I might ask before I fire away.
I have just cut a couple of inches up of the bottom of the skin along the entire length of the door, now I am going to make a bottom skin and stick it on.
are there any precuations or techniques to avoid warps?

Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 09:57:12 PM »

Hey Leon,

This is a tricky job using a MIG, having completely “oil canned” a door or two before getting it right…

Don’t let it get too hot, tack in place first. If you can’t touch the metal near the tack with your bare hand, it’s too hot.  Spread the heat evenly by tacking alternate ends and halfway between etc until you have a nice row of tacks.
Most important, don’t rush… it’s all too late when u hear the metal creak and pull down.
So.. keep it cool, spread the heat, don’t rush.
Some people are talented enough to MIG tack in, then hammerweld using gas, hammer and dolly, but I’m not one of them.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
HARKO
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 05:50:56 AM »

Heres the only tips I know Leon .
Ive always used a wet rag and cooled around the area but not directly on it ,Ed has had success with this technique also.
I was reading up about a guy in America developing a mig gun with a seperate trigger for compressed air to cool after welding ,Fatboy says he uses this technique with good success ,Maybe have a chat to him.
He told me that as soon as he finishes a weld a mate hits it with air .
I welded the roof on my ute with very little warp by the old wet rag technique and using a lapped peice of metal to weld to rather than butted joins.
Just remember to keep your welds as short as possible and spread the contact points as Ed said , Id say not any longer than 10mm at most.
greyone

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 07:00:54 AM »

just let you know I brought a couple of rear half skins from craig vayne QLD 0741222326 these have a fold pressed in them for the overlap which assist in welding and limits the amount of distortion $40 each regards greyone     ps I have some good photos of the finished doors I will try and post soon
snoopy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 03:19:27 AM »

hi there
iam a welder by trade, if you want a good job you can use silcan bronze wire it is rust poof and lighter you dont need to usr as much amps so less heat and the wire wont rust in you welser or the job wont rust, but the wire is a little more, i pay $30 to $40 for a 15kg of normle wire, and you will pay $50 to 70 for the silican bronze wire well worth it i think

Peter
Chuck

Finished!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 05:07:33 AM »

Hi Leon

I too can vouch for the compressed air technique, it just has to be applied immediately that the weld stops otherwise ditto for Harko and Ed’s comments re the wet rag, these guys would know.  Also with the wire, make sure that you use a small gauge; I use CIG Weld Autocraft 0.6mm and have had great success with this.  I have tried other cheaper brands of 0.6 but with disappointing results.  Hare & Forbes near you sell the cheapest Autocraft that I know of.  I don't know anything about the silicon bronze wire but it does sound interesting.  There is a tool called an air joddling tool that rolls a step along the edge of the piece being welded that does away with the need for a tricky butt weld, but I have never seen them for sale, only on internet car build-up sites.

Chuck

“So yes it has changed my life.  I can remember when I had a wife, a mortgage and a dog; I don’t have any 3 of those things any longer…”  Dr Gregory W Frazier
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: