FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:54:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: help with steering coloum  (Read 4274 times)
aussieute

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2010, 02:06:45 PM »

hi
  can anyone help me with an answer to which steering coloum to run with a v6 rack and pinion setup, at the time i am using the standard setup being  original tube with a commodore shaft down to the  intermediate shaft  my question can i use commodore or hq tube or anything that will look nice instead of this setup which sticks out to far and is easy to do which will give me indiactors,horn etc. any ideas thanks john
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 09:02:13 PM »

Hi aussieute,
Can't you shorten the outer column at the base?
ACE  Cool
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 09:06:13 PM »

Any other column is problematic if you want to use the original steering wheel (it can be done but it is difficult). If you don't need the original wheel then early manual Torana columns are the best to source since they have only an ignition switch on the column along with the indicators.

Ken
aussieute

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 10:51:39 PM »

thank you  the shaft has been set up for the original steering wheel so i am thinking of slotting it down another tube so i will look at the torana thanks
FC_fer_me
vic-club

baby boomers luv FC's

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 05:57:06 PM »

Rod's Racks in Qld does a setup that marries a standard FC top to a VB to VL bottom half. He also sets it up so the steering wheel is closer to the dash, about the same as a EK. It costs around $200 with you supplying the columns. I have got one coming in the next week and will post some pics when it arrives. Cheers, Jack
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 09:15:02 PM »

g,day i,ve just had a EK one shortened and set up to a LH/UC rack'n'pinion front end for a V8 conversion, by cutting the bottom off the EK column
just past the fire wall and using LJ steering uni-joints down onto your rack. gives lots of clearance for extractors plus it still looks original inside eg. stock indicator switch & wheel. I had mine shortened 3" to get the wheel out of ya teeth
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 08:18:14 PM »
+1

Be careful with this mod as most engineers wont let you use a non-collapsible column. Basically if you change something it then has to meet current ADR's.  That's why the Torana or later columns are better.

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: