FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 16, 2024, 02:37:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: plain FE-FC utes and vans  (Read 38231 times)
collecta
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2015, 11:37:48 PM »

[quoteTo my knowledge the columns are the same for both model series (except horn ring of course). Just 2 types, blinkers or no blinkers. ][/quote]
earlies had red indicators (brake light) Late 59 had orange indicators so this is where the wiring changed. Columns are the same.
cheers
Scott

i collect old holdens coz they never die!
detective

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2015, 07:30:19 AM »

...the early red indicators had the brake light interrupter, which was a cool set-up...how exactly did that work?....
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2015, 05:47:41 PM »

Terry, I think Haydn is referring to the indicator wiring difference between FE and early FC versus late FC.
Differences in steering columns off the top of my head, there are probably more.....
Wiring harness - none in commercial, red blinkers and orange blinkers in specials
Blanking plate in commercial models versus indicator mechanism in specials
Indicator stalk is different between FE and FC
Honey pot is different on early FE
Horn ring
Horn contact spring and wire assembly

Ken
detective

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2015, 07:22:19 AM »

... from all  accounts the FE columns were painted body colour across the range, whereas the FC ones were painted black ....
Stewy
sa-club

Model: FE

FErgus 1957 FE Special Station Sedan

Jeff Stewart
View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2015, 07:50:08 AM »

Only the early ones. My November 57 wagon column is black on a two tone blue special.

Cheers Stewy   Cool

No matter how much you push the envelope, It'll still be stationery
detective

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2015, 02:56:26 PM »

Hi fellas  ..  thanks Stewy for the info....another curly one from the memory banks...i think ??....

...the FE specials had the chunky number plate surround and associated holes for their mounting in the bumper bar pieces....i recall that the alternative bumpers on the base and commercial models didn't have these surrounds or holes, and were becoming somewhat of a rarity even back then  (about 20 years ago say).....

....is that all bunkum?...or is there a bit of truth in it......cheers
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2015, 04:55:21 PM »

1956 FE's have painted steering columns.
FE commercials have no number plate surround but the centre section of the bar still has the holes in it.
A lot of FE commercials are wrongly restored with FC front centre bars without the holes in them
Granted they do look better, but not correct.

Ken
detective

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2015, 05:36:17 PM »

...thanks Ken for all the clarifications, and it's interesting to see how they standardised the FE bumper across the range...holes and all.

...also did the FE dashboard ashtray always have provision for a cigarette lighter?...or was that a different receptacle on the base and commercial models....(please excuse the barrage of questions....the FE stuff has always been of great interest to me)
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2015, 07:16:12 PM »

All FE and FC have the ashtray lid in the dash, and the ashtray inside. Special models came with a cigarette lighter fitted, but all other models had a blank plate where the lighter could be installed. Whether this had to be drilled out or could be punched out I'm not sure - it's rare to see one unmolested.

Also, the early FEs with the painted steering column have a chromed column support bracket.

Now, as to the number plate frame on the FE - that is an interesting thing. Although I've never seen a picture that clearly shows what was different about them, the "Preliminary" FE parts catalogue shows there were originally two different part numbers for the front and back versions. However, by the time of release, there was just one universal item. Note also that the centre section of the bumper is the same front and back, so whilst it's true that undrilled centre sections are harder to find, it's not for the reason you mentioned, as Ken has intimated. Only the front bumpers on FC models are undrilled, so basically the ratio of drilled to undrilled is close enough to 3:1.

Hope that helps.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
detective

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2015, 08:04:56 PM »

...interesting stuff RET  ..  that preliminary parts list didn't tell lies, as discovered in the 48-EJ Master Parts Catalogue "Parts History Index" the original centre bumper bar (front and rear) for FE/FC was part number 7414456 which was superseded by p/n 7408731.....

...there is a distinct possibility that the front number plate surround was not going to be fitted to the FE...hence the two different numbers...(and possibly no holes in the front centre piece?)....
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 08:14:57 PM by detective » Logged
Stewy
sa-club

FErgus 1957 FE Special Station Sedan

Jeff Stewart
View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2015, 08:23:31 PM »
+1

Other way round Detective. FE preliminary parts catalogue lists the centre front bumper as # 7408731 and the same for centre rear.(with holes)
where as the master parts catalogue I have 48-EK lists FE centre front as # 7408731 and FC centre front as # 7414456 and centre rear for both FE and FC as # 7408731

Cheers Stewy   Cool

No matter how much you push the envelope, It'll still be stationery
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2015, 08:38:30 PM »

On this subject, take a look at the front cover of the FC brochure. It shows the yellow and black FC with the FE commercial front bar rather than the FC bar

Ken
detective

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2015, 08:54:25 PM »

...that's the rub Stewy  ..  the 7414456 part being originally only I/4 of the whole assembly production was apparently dropped by the time the 48-EJ catalogue was produced...thereby standardising the part...for an FC front bar replacement you got the spare holes for free!!  LOL

...admittedly, i think that RET was saying that the number plate guards themselves were different  ?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 09:02:08 PM by detective » Logged
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2015, 09:18:54 PM »

...admittedly, i think that RET was saying that the number plate guards themselves were different  ?

That's exactly what I was saying, sorry if it wasn't as clear as it might have been.

The FE Special Sedan was always going to have a number plate guard on the front, but the preliminary parts manual suggests the guards were originally going to be different front and rear. All FEs shared the same bumper centre front and rear (where fitted), so commercials and standards had the holes in the bumper on the front.

The FC never had the front number plate guard under any circumstances, so the front bumper centre was produced with no holes, and received a new part number. The rear centre continued through from the FE unchanged. Hence my comment about the ratio of drilled to undrilled centres.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
detective

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2015, 09:27:59 PM »

Thanks for all the answers fellas to these myriad questions that have had me intrigued for so many years...

...about 1977  when i was about 16, the slightly older lads in the industrial area i worked in would thrash and wreck any old car they could find in the paddocks all around us...i didn't care much about the Simca's, prefect's, falcon's or even the numerous EK's or EJ's they killed, but one day they fronted up with a fairly tidy FE...which even then was becoming a bit rarity (in my opinion)...

...it lasted all afternoon, into the evening...was crashed and belted in to any object available...all the while with steam and smoke issuing forth until there was literally nothing more it could do...stopped and siezed

...looking back i wish i had a camera, as the smoking, steaming wreck had no life left except one lonely headlight park lamp looking downwards in the dark....she was totally knackered....and even then as a kid i thought "what a bloody shame"
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2015, 08:04:13 AM »

I would expect that the original number plate guard for FE front would not have had the holes to mount the number plate on.
The front number plate is attached to the bumper whereas the rear number plate is attached to the guard.
I think GMH probably dropped the idea for simplicity.

Ken
detective

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2015, 09:15:45 AM »

...on that note Ken, some states apparently didn't require the front number plate to be fitted and may explain away the earlier differences between the two number plate guards until they decided to standardise on one type or the other prior to production...??
detective

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2015, 03:33:35 PM »

Hi fellas  ..  i wasn't sure if this should belong here, but a bit more miscellany for the members to look out for has popped up in some of the reading of the FE road tests from back in the day...

...a really interesting thing in the earliest FE wagons was the lack of floor strips for the load area, which was apparently just a thin foam padded vinyl cover...including the rear seat back...

...the strips were to be made available via the Nasco people, but they also may have been retro-fitted under warranty for disgruntled purchasers, as the writers noted the issue of items tearing the covering may cause problems...

...has anyone seen this early set-up?...it would be very rare to see these days if so....cheers
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2015, 07:05:15 PM »

This is a tricky one which had me looking for any evidence as I have to admit that with the extreme rarity of FE wagons and FE 219's especially, it's hard to find pictures.
I looked at some of the pics in the road tests and read the text that you refer to.
The FE special in the pics does not appear to have rear strips although the parts book lists the special as having the wear strips.
The interesting thing though was the the standard wagon had material in the back early and this was replaced with wear strips.
I had a special wagon and it had wear strips but I don't recall the last standard wagon I saw as to what it had in the rear area.

Ken
detective

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2015, 07:24:57 PM »

Hi Ken  ..  the info came out of a Brooklands Road Test book titled "Holdens 1948-1962"...

...yes, a special, although I can't say I've ever seen one like this and the photos are reasonably clear.... tested by "Wheels" at the introduction of that model with this following quote...

"We question the wisdom of the makers offering this vehicle with a plastic-clad loading floor that has no form of strip steel runners whereon to slide heavy loads. It is understood that such loading strips will be shortly available through N.A.S.C.O. as extras, but in the meantime the Holden's neatly upholstered floors are likely to suffer somewhat from box corners, petrol drum edges, and such like."

.....end quote

...it would be good to see if this detail could be implemented into a correct early FE wagon restoration one day, although the test car may also have been a pre-production job  ??.....cheers
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 07:38:22 PM by detective » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: