FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:22:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Front sub frame  (Read 2953 times)
mjwfc

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2012, 01:25:49 PM »

I am trying to remove the front subframe and have a problem with the lower bolts that bolt through the sill. I have been able to take off the nuts but do not have access to the head of the bolts in the sill. Should there be an access point from the sill side that may have been previously covered up as there does appear to be welding in the area.

Any ideas on how I should go about removing the bolts.

At this stage I am considering cutting a hole in the outer side of the sill  to get access.

Advise appriciated.
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 02:21:15 PM »

The bolts should be clearly visible on the front section of the outer sill.

This is the section of the sill in my wagon that had been modified ... But you get the idea...the bolt is gone and the whole remains... as I said it should be clearly visible... You may have to grind out the welding to see what is there and maybe punch out the bolt body!
Good luck
Nick

You can never have too many!
Port Macquarie NSW
mjwfc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 07:53:04 PM »

Thanks Nick. Low and behold ground away a piece of the plate that had been welded in and there is the bolt.

Still working on getting it out as it is well rusted in. Need a larger hammer i think.

I will have another go on the weekend and then start on the other side.
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 08:57:21 AM »
+1

Hi MJW,

Im currently removing some subframe bolts and I rate this job as one of the worst things to do.

If you are trying to remove the bolt, it is a shouldered bolt so you need to drive it out from the inside out... bugger of a  job when you're under the car, and every time you hit the bolt a ton of dirt drops down on you...

since the car Im working on has rusted out in this area, I am just going to hit it with the plasma cutter, then tack in the inner sill repair prior to dropping the subframe off.. this will take the guess work out of finding the correct bolt position later.

Im also planning on strengthening this area so the underfloor cross member (which attaches here) can later be used as a jacking point.. since nearly all the cars are crushed around here from people using them to jack the car up anyway.

good luck

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: