FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:57:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Air conditioning  (Read 38755 times)
Frankiej

Model: other Holden

Frankies restorations
View Profile
« on: December 20, 2014, 10:53:19 PM »

Hey people I am having issues trying to work,out what fits into a standard dash for heating and air conditioning, I have a unit from a vs commodore and it's way to big....it was free haha.....but I'm can't seem to find out what actually fits and works.
Any help would be great thanks frankie.
JB
qld-club
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 06:06:51 AM »

Have a look at vintage air, there is also another company that does small air conditioners that I had been told about but can not remember their name.

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers
JB

Phone +64 223509263
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

Model: FC

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 07:57:36 AM »

My advice is get the electric vintage air not the vacuum model.

Regards

Wayne b
Frankiej

Frankies restorations
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 07:58:37 AM »

Thanks guys I will check them out.
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 08:25:05 AM »

My advice is get the electric vintage air not the vacuum model.

Regards

Wayne b
X2
It's one of those things that I have found that a cheaper more economical version is not available (that I could find from a donor car).
I did not go as far as to look at a unit from a Barina/Astra etc though

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 09:09:44 AM »

Is any of this of use to you ? I collected it for my Vauxhall hot rod project but I haven't enough room under the hood.

I'm not sure where you are but I'm in S.E. Qld and there is a guy in one of the clubs of which I am a member who does air . Cheers Haydn
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 09:35:00 AM »

I think with that ive been researching for yonks and unless u want a big crap looking one from the 70's then I agree with the others. If you were gunna use donor stuff it might need to be out of a small car perhaps but id be worried about spares later. While on the subject old mount Isa boy, is there parts on these kits that would have to go in early to save headaches cos o was thinking of putting the plumbing in but getting the rest fitted after rego. Just one thing, the vf Commodore has gone to pissy little vent cos limited room for screen and they are noisy and don't work well so I'm going to try incorporate a few extra outlets if they are pissy. Did anyone do that

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 12:30:52 PM »

I would test fit the firewall hose bracket. I used a firewall alloy kit. I would also sort out the radiator and condenser unit before everything gets too pretty. The vents should be done early. I have a four outlet unit so needed to cut holes in the dash. Do it early!!! The hoses to the outlets also need to be thought about with the wiper arms.

Where are the controls going to go? Sort out early.

Regards

Wayne b
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 04:34:16 PM »

Yeah I am that's why I'm planning the dash layout now. If you can take some pics pls of where your outlets are and any pics from under the dash that are tight, or direct us to the page on the build page, I will start reading them in the next few weeks while I'm not doing much. Lots to think about at this stage. Makes the taxi look like a piece of piss really.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Frankiej

Frankies restorations
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 10:24:19 PM »

Yeah I agree with Deano and also the advice to do it early, omg if this was an fj I would have no issues lol, it's my first fe but thanks guys the info is priceless.

Cheers Frankiej
joezan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 09:06:37 PM »

I am putting a vintage style air con that will be concealed it is fitting up where the glove box ( I won't be having a glove box) is with under dash vents I have a separate heater that is fitting up behind the speaker grill I think its out of a bongo van or some small jap thing. Would post some pictures but I don't know how.
Frankiej

Frankies restorations
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 10:20:59 PM »

Does anyone know what the smallest air con heater unit is from a factory car that might work besides an vintage air unit, I am prepared to modify as much as I have to cheers Frankie
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 11:03:39 PM »

Does anyone know what the smallest air con heater unit is from a factory car that might work besides an vintage air unit, I am prepared to modify as much as I have to cheers Frankie
hmmm this ol chestnut. Best start collecting units from small cars mate

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 11:24:30 PM »

I'm using the smiths one out of the fe for the fc. It's the round type but that different to what your talking about. Why not continue with your pommy kit http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/Cooling_heating/Heating/Heater_matrix/C-ARA3000.aspx?070102&ReturnUrl=/search/classic/Heater.aspx
If you wanted to be a real pioneer, you could buy one of those compact inverter reverse cycle heating/cooling units used in boats. But the inverter might be too expensive and although they keep getting smaller like the Mermaid ones, still a bit too big for a sedan but would work ok for a van.

Deano

FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 01:51:29 PM »

Hi Frankiej
I am also trying to figure this problem out but unfortunately my sedan is (never) finished.
I have purchased a new VS compressor (it was relatively cheap) and the rest of the engine bay system (hoses etc), because I dont want to cut holes in my dash I am going to use an underdash unit (70's 80's style) but my main issue is trying to figure out where to mount the compressor without having it sit too high and ugly.
JB has said that he moved the coil pack and mounted it in that position and I thinkl I will also try to go there. After looking at almost all positions in the engine bay I think this may be the only place to go.
There is another company in the states called Old Air Products and apparently they have an agent in QLD.
Regards
Neil H
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 07:16:02 PM »

Hey Neil where are you mounting the compressor? V6conversions sell a bracket to mount VS on drivers side (expensive though but it's done) may help in the room dept.

I went looking for other units too and got to a point where trying to save money wasn't the point anymore. The place I bought my vintage air from actually sent me an empty dummy unit to see if it would fit. This may be an option for you guys to try rather than stuff around searching. In my opinion it was worth the coin to get a new unit. In 40deg heat on vinyl I'll be needing a testicle warmer to counteract it!!!!

Frankiej

Frankies restorations
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 09:12:51 PM »

Hey guys thanks for the replys and I can see it being an issue, I recently looked at an fj with what looked like a vs Calais centre console and it was running air con but with no mods to the dash, my thoughts are to cut my dash and move it and fit the vents from the vs as well into the top and try to create to extra room to fit something up under there, my wiper isn't there now so it has given me some extra space to play with, I have used the wiper motor and cables from a Morris.
Frankiej

Frankies restorations
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 09:24:39 PM »

I just had another thought maybe I should just use the warmeride heater I already have and go for an under dash air con, what are the thoughts on this and will it be ok to use with the v6.
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 10:33:03 PM »

Stop thinking your head might explode 😬

Deano

FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 01:34:53 PM »

Hi Frankiej
Your last post is what I was talking about with my sedan I am going to use an underdash unit (not behind the dash) the issue is where to mount the compressor.

NES was saying that V6 Conversions make a bracket for the drivers side but I would like to keep the messy hoses down as much as possible and my underdash unit will be mounted under the glove box so I want to bring the hoses through that side.

I use an electric underdash (yes hidden under the dash) demister as I didn't want to keep drilling holes through my fire wall at the time to run water hoses (now look what I am going to do ha ha)

The width of the engine with the compressor mounted in is original position on the V6 does not fit between the chassis rails on our FC's you have to grind off a bit on the drivers side for the oil filter as it is.

I am interested in which way you go Frankie as I say I'm tyring to figure it out myself at the moment.
Regards
Neil H
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: