FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 12, 2024, 12:39:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Big Block Chev  for a dummy fit .  (Read 6116 times)
HARKO
« on: May 13, 2005, 10:49:58 AM »

Im in need of a BB chev block to dummy fit into a chassis  ,If anyone can help me out Id be cheering .

At this stage its kind of deciding which way Ill go with the build plan on the FC Van and I just need to know if it will drop in between the rails and allow exhaust room .

If you know of anyone else who may be able to help Im paying mates rates of a case of their or your choice.
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 08:34:20 PM »

I might not be much help, but Rod Hadfield fitted a BB Chev to his "Castlemaine Kid" EK(FB?) Panel Van. There was a mag feature that I can remember, maybe someone has more details.

Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 10:00:33 PM »

Hi Harko,

This should be interesting.

Im not familiar with big block dimensions, however would imagine they are bigger in size... hence the name right?

Besides any capacity issues you may have with such a conversion, I am guessing, it will be a very tight squeeze to drop some pipes down beside the block and rails.

Will take some pics of my pipe to frame to block clearance for you to have alook at what you're up against.

setting the motor back does help with pipe to frame clearance however presents other difficulties, especially on the steering side if your motor is wider across the heads than say a Holden V8.

bear in mind, my pipes hug the block closer than any commercially available pipes.

hope this helps.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
FC-V8

Model: FC

Not enough hours in the day

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 10:17:19 PM »

Harko
          Good luck trying to get full rego with a big block the most they (RTA) will let you go legally in a FE/FC regardless of body style is a 307 chev or 308 holden.

Glenn

What it to rev ? install a CHEV !
0401-065-201
Spinner
nsw-club

Whitewalls - more than 'just' a way of life.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 10:32:22 AM »

Using the RTA formula, I calculate that you should legally be able to fit a Chrysler LA Series 318,with about 1/2cid left over.

(0414) 49-6706.  d5461 on Ebay.
HARKO
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 12:10:30 PM »

I have a loophole and Im not afraid to use it .
429.9 cu in,Legally  Grin

Ive kept this on the quiet side for a long time but like all good secrets they are bound to come to an end sometime.
PLEASE PLEASE understand I've put a lot of research, time, and effort into this and its hard for me to share these cold hard facts without screwing up my chin whilst I type.
Im only doing so because I am a mickey hair away from getting back to both of these projects.

My chopped EK ute (same floorpan as FC obviously) is rolling on a Toyota chassis ,The model is still a secret because I figure if anyone is serious about doing this type of thing then to find out this info is rediculously easy.
The wheelbase overall is an inch longer and the track width is the same as fe fc fb ek ej eh hd hr.
The chassis is a very strong design and is very similar in design to a HQs and even HQ brakes will interchange whilst the stub axles are so close its not funny.
They are a four wheel coil sprung design and the rails slide between the sills of our favourites.

The ute will legally be registered with a supercharged 350 and channeled over the chassis so as not to lose suspension travel and also air bag suspension.
Id say Im past the half way mark with this project at present.

The chopped FC van Ive been playing with of late will be running a 427 on gas if all goes to plan along with channeling the body but retaining close to standard suspension for comfortability.

(hitting the enter key as I ponder whether I should be writing this on the forum)

« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 12:13:57 PM by HARKO » Logged
HARKO
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 12:25:09 PM »

I just realised the dates on the photo' Huh I didnt even own the FC in 2003 and I sure as hell didnt have that double garage .
For futre reference dont take notice of my pic dates ,I pull the batteries out to recharge them and 1/1/2003 automatically comes up - grounhog day.

So has anyone seen a sign by the side of the road "Big block for hire"
TAYZ
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2005, 07:35:04 PM »

I was big fan of the castlemaine Kid as my first car was aek windowless van, anyway thats doesnt matter I have copy of Custom Rodder witht feature in it Harko, let me know if tioy want me to photocopy and send it to you.  (forget about me scanning as it is way out of my league!!)

TAYZ
HARKO
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2005, 09:48:56 PM »

Thanks guys about the offers ,I have been all over the Castlemaine kid with a tape measure hehe about a year or so ago down in Chewton and its a bloody tight squeeze to say the least - The grumpy man is a genius to say the least ,Its funny that he can talk a big block chev into a suzuki swift but has trouble having to talk to customers hehe.
Ive also got the Custom or Street Rodder magazines  that covered the buildup etc .
I think it would be safe to say that if there is or ever was a magazine that was produced with a chopped EK or FC in it that I have sourced it from somewhere.

When I set up the 350 into the chassis for the ute it fits without too much drama apart from recessing the firewall quite a bit so I figure the big block would be about 50 - 100 mm wider and still seems as though it would go in but the pipes would have to exit through the wheel wells ,No subframe makes that easy to do right now.
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2005, 07:31:13 AM »

man that pic looks kool, I love the rake on the rear, is this your van, do you have any more pics?
thats a big motor, I thought the limit was 314ci, then again if it is a full chasis car the limit is a bit different.
how do you register it not as a self constructed vehicle.
will it be a v8 hilux that looks like a old holden?

TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2005, 09:48:50 AM »

HEY DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE TOTAL AMOUNT OF CUBIC INCHES ARE LEGAL IN VICTORIA?

CHEERS
TORQUE

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
HARKO
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2005, 10:49:23 AM »

Right on the money FCCOOL It will read
1962 toyota
62 being EK and chassis being the toyota.

Mono        norm aspirated .294
Full chass norm aspirated .333

1000kg subframed                     car can have 294 cu in
1000kg chassied                        car can have 333 cu in
1000kg chassied supercharged car can have 286 cu in  

I was glad to find out the model I chose was built like a brick outhouse and weighed so much because it bumps up the equation ,and the body swap will reduce the overall weight of the vehicle - all good odds to me.

Tourque have a browse through you motor registry technical are online - Im not sure if this equation is australia wide.
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2005, 08:25:22 PM »

hey harko

i meant what was the maximum cubic inches legal in victoria, that looks like nsw, i may be wrong but....

cheers
torque
« Last Edit: May 15, 2005, 08:26:26 PM by torquefc » Logged

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

HARKO
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2005, 09:39:44 AM »

Still wanted a,A bare big block chev to loan and see if it drops between the rails - Case a beer payment.
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2005, 10:06:41 AM »

hey harko

why not ring around a few speed shops or engine builders, im sure youd come along a shop that would have a damaged block thats unusable

HARKO
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2005, 10:17:54 AM »

Ive done exactly as youve suggested Tourque and used up my plan B now .
Still looking .
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: