FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 21, 2024, 03:52:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: A Grand Adventure Comes to an End...  (Read 5611 times)
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« on: April 16, 2012, 12:07:23 AM »

Dad and I got home today, after 19 days of tooling around with his FC Holden across the continent.

We spent:
3 days / 3 nights on the Indian Pacific
1 day / 1 night in Fremantle
5 days / 4 nights touring around the South West, with nights spent at Mt Barker, Denmark, Pemberton & Busselton
4 days / 5 nights participating in, partying at, and cruising at the 14th Nationals
6 days / 5 nights driving home, with nights spent at Coolgardie, Cocklebiddy, Ceduna, Peterborough & Hay

The entire affair was a once in a lifetime adventure for us both, and I can honestly say we were having as much fun at the end as at the start.

Congratulations to Graham & Cathy on their wedding. To plan one's nuptials is very stressful.  To organise a Nationals is very stressful. To build a car to a deadline is stressful. To do all three things simultaneously and still be smiling takes very special people. Well done, and enjoy your honeymoon.

Well done to all the members of the FE-FC HCC WA involved in the planning and execution of the Nationals. I've been to every Nationals held, and I don't think I've ever enjoyed a Nationals as much as this one. Great venues, great events, great people, great city. I want to come back and enjoy more of WA. I think I'm in love with the place.

A special note of thanks to Lorene, Gemma, Deb and all the ladies who worked so tirelessly over the weekend to make sure everyone was fed, happy and looked after. The event would not have been the success it was without you, and on a personal note I would like to say that your efforts certainly did not go unnoticed nor unremarked on, and I trust that your husbands will make it their business to spoil you all now that it's over.

A huge thank you to Frank from the WA Club, who looked after Dad and I so wonderfully, and helped us in so many ways with our pre-Nats holiday. We cannot thank you enough.

Likewise, we had a ball staying with Scott, Jared, Ken and Steve, and spending so much time with people from interstate in the various townhouses. A big thank you to all the Vic club members both at the event and on the way home for all the hospitality. The cruise home with Steve, Min, Simon, Kyle and Jeff was a bonus: it was the Nats that seemed to go on forever.

And lastly, thanks to Dad for putting up with my late nights, general messiness, snoring, insistence on stops for proper coffee (not easy to obtain across the Nullarbor!) and everything else. As I said, we were still having fun even on the last day of the drive back. I think it was about Pheasants Nest that Dad said: "I just remembered. I dropped a 5c piece down behind the bed at Perth. I reckon we better go back and get it."

Thanks again to everyone. What a trip.

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
HAD 708

Holdens and the Mighty Woodsmen truly magnificent

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 09:19:57 AM »

Ret
Great to hear you had such a great time and you are now a WA convert! Nice to enjoy a nationals and not have to be obsessed witht the organisation.
Well Done and hopefully a catch up in Tasmania. Smiley
Brett

Brett Gillard
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 10:56:02 AM »

Oh, one other thing to mention.

Dad & I realised somewhere along the Hay plains that our trip to Perth (14th) and back took in:

- Penrith (8th), Orange (13th) and Adelaide (3rd, 7th) on the way there;
- Mildura (6th) and Wagga Wagga (2nd) on the way back.

So we visited 7 FE-FC Nationals venues getting to and from the 14th Nats. Grin

We were also within two hundred miles of Ballarat (1st), Bendigo (4th), Jindabyne (10th) and Sutton (5th) yesterday as well. According to Google Maps, if we had gone through them as well, it would have only added another 585 miles to the trip. Tempting, but maybe next time.

cheers
RET

PS: Brett: that's not my only conversion. Ask Tony...

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
GOA350
vic-club

FE's are great when they've got a V8

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 08:13:13 PM »

Hear, hear to all your sentiments Richard.
 We are still going strong and are currently in Pemberton. This trip is definatly one that will never be forgotten.
Cheers Scotty, Jared, Tony and Kara
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: