FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:35:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Engine Advice Please ???  (Read 3913 times)
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2003, 03:19:30 AM »

I'm appealing to anyone who has some nouse about engines, g/boxes. ect....
My plan for my FC Special Sedan...is to run a 202 Red Motor, Trimatic ( on the column ), and to fit a CRS Supercharger Kit....The rules are simple ( I hope )....the car must be driveable and happy in city traffic conditions....it must get up and go when I tell it too....and must be a good highway cruiser for the long road trips it will do at times.

The red 202 I have already, is fitted with YellaTerra Roller Rockers and an XU1 Cam, balanced bottom end.

What I want advice on, is......what to do to the trimatic?....what diff to use.....what diff ratio to use.....what needs to be done engine wise ( cam, CR ect )....I plan on a 2"SU carb for the blower, as the CRS have tested it on the blower kit for the 202, and found better performance, idle, starting and power over the Holley 350.
Any help is appreciated,even if it differs from someone else's advice.....

Cheers

Mark
fastjbav6
wa-club

OK start her up !

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2003, 07:24:35 AM »

G day Mark,
Try a 3.36:1 diff ratio. Extra clutches and a trans oil cooler to take the abuse. A shorter bellhousing from an VK Commodore and Conrods from a Blue Motor 6 cyl.
Hope this helps.

Regards
              Seb

Yellow Knight

Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2003, 09:58:13 PM »

Thanks for that Seb.....tell me, why the shorter Bell Housing Huh

Mark
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2003, 07:30:52 AM »

Not sure about shorter, I thought the VK EFI Trimatic bellhousing had ribs for extra pleasu...  um, I mean strength.

My 202/Trimatic that was in an LJ Torana and soon to be in the FE.
- Starfire Rods
- HQ Racing Hyperutetic Pistons
- Blue Motor crank
- Waggot 238 Cam
- 9 port head with a lot of work (heads are not so critical in blown applications as the air is being pushed through not pulled, so I have been told)
- Cain 4 barrel Manifold with a 450 Vac Holley.
- 10.5 - 11 to 1 compression, the motor only really ran well on Avgas and has been detuned for ULP. I could get away with super at the time, as long as I was gentle on the accelerator.

The trimatic just had a heap of good bits chucked in it by a tranny expect here in Adelaide (he does a lot of drag racing transmissions). A gemini convertor, because they are smaller and stall better(??). Get a temperature sender fitted to the pan and have a guage in the car. Fit a good trans cooler, apparently the cooler the trans temp the better.

This motor and trans in an LJ torana with a 3.9 LSD Banjo and widened 14" Volvo rims with tall, sticky 235 wide retreads ran a best of 14.2/92mph down the quarter mile. There was probably another second in there but I never really got into the drag racing at that time.

It was a good solid motor and for a period of a 4-6 months I actually drove it to work everyday, 52km round trip. It would only get a little grumpy on the 40+ degree summer days.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2003, 07:46:25 AM by stinky » Logged

brads59

OLD OLDENS=STYLE

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2003, 09:47:49 AM »

What diff are you going to use,
Banjo or other?

1959 Black Std sedan
fastjbav6
wa-club

OK start her up !

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2003, 11:00:16 AM »

The VK bell housing has ribs for strength and being shorter the trans can be mounted slightly forward by about 20-25mm from memory.

Regards
         Seb

Yellow Knight

fastjbav6
wa-club

OK start her up !

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2003, 11:31:07 AM »

I stand corrected. The bell housing is not shorter. I was thinking of the CRS Chev V8 housing.

Yellow Knight

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: