FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:33:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Lowering FC front  (Read 5547 times)
BigAlFC

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2016, 06:27:43 PM »

I have about 110mm between top of wheel and bottom of the guard. I would like to lower as far as I can, I have 205/60/13 inch tyres. I'm worried that if I lower to much the wheels will rub when turning. I see that a lot of people have lowerd their FC & FE's and would like some feed back.
Cheers
AL
NSW
JOX515
vic-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 06:48:30 PM »

Al, if you are running a HR front end, you could try HQ stub axles to lower it a bit. Plenty of aftermarket lowered springs available as well. On my old wagon, I used HR stub axles and lowered springs, running 15 x7 wheels on the front with 195/50 tyres.  If you don't want to spend money, get the angle grinder out on the springs and cut one coil at a time until you get your ride height.
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 09:35:13 PM »

Hi Al
You could fill up 40mm or so by running 185 85 profile tyres. Cut 30mm off the uncompressed length of the stock front coils to lower by 50mm. You are left with 20mm clearance. The narrower tyres will be less likely to rub on lock. Even though you've lowered the front suspension 50mm the ride height will be very similar due to the taller tyres. The car will look nicer with the taller tyres filling up the guards. The tricky bit is to get the rear on a level stance with out rubbing due to body roll.

Have fun with it
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigAlFC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 08:37:52 AM »

If I lowered the springs by 70mm and put gas shocks on do you think that would help stop the tyres from rubbing when cornering ?
Cheers
AL
NSW
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 08:51:17 AM »

Be aware that people go very wrong cutting springs . Keep in mind that what you cut off will be multiplied [length of lower control arm, stub, hub  and tyre divided by length from lower control arm bushes to coil centre] . Just saying not too much . Another way to stiffen the rear is to put extra leafs in the spring packs and a sway bar . If I remember correctly ,my old FC van had 8 per side and a set of helper springs . Haydn
BigAlFC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 09:43:24 AM »

I'm happy to buy lowered springs just like to know how much clearance above the front tyres would be safe.
Cheers
Alistair
NSW
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 11:23:02 AM »

Its all in the offset of the rims i use to run 205s on the front of mine and it was on the bump stops and cleared.

My FE is nearing the bump stops and runs 185 wide tyres on stock rim and clears fine.

My wagon runs 205-50-15s 7 inch wide rim and is near the bump stops and clears .

BigAlFC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 11:13:30 AM »

Do you run gas shock or standard?
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 07:57:49 AM »

I only run monroe gt  in everything.

Pages: [1]   Go Up