FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:32:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Gear Box Housing Assembly  (Read 3247 times)
Ken's 57
nsw-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2014, 02:16:57 PM »

Could anyone advise whether this is the correct housing assembly for an FE please. The listed part number is 7408347 but on this one it is 7408348. When installed, the cup/flange on the propeller shaft which I think is meant to stop oil from splashing everywhere, is about 60mm away from the end of the housing rather then fitting neatly over it. Cannot find 7408348 listed anywhere in the 48-HR Parts Catalogue.  Huh

Cheers, Ken

Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 06:07:24 AM »

G'day Ken,

Yep, it's the right one.

The Master Parts Catalogue (20 Years of Holden Production) lists the part number for extension housings assemblies for FX-EK Holden as 7408347. This assembly is the housing and bushings made up with the alloy casting. The alloy extension housings have either 7408348 cast into them (one number higher than the parts list as this is a casting, not an assembly), or just plain “HOLDEN” and no part number. The dimensions (overall length, bushing length and diameter, bolt location, locating flange lip diameter) are identical, through the mild steel unit is 3/16” longer due to the use of an extra shroud at the rear of the extension. A lip seal is press fitted into the rear of the extension and seals up against the main drive shaft as it exits the gearbox. The two units, including the seals, are fully interchangeable.

This may help:
FB/EK Holden 3-speed Crashbox Enthusiasts Guide

Cheers,
Harv (deputy apprentice crashbox fiddler).
Ken's 57
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 07:26:04 AM »

Many thanks Harv. FYI the housing assembly has both part number and "Holden" cast onto it. Still cannot work out why the oil slinger does not reach the back of the assembly though. As far as I know it is the original propeller shaft. I thought the slinger was meant to cup over the end of the housing and rear seal to retain any oil. Cheers, Ken
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 11:11:07 AM »

G'day Ken,

I'm not sure which bit you are referring to for the "slinger ring" - can you take a photo please? There is only one slinger in a grey motor crashbox, and it lives on the other end of the box (the input shaft, or "clutch gear").

Cheers,
Harv
Ken's 57
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 01:11:16 PM »

I'll get a photo up in the next few days Harv. Car is away having the engine removed atm.
Cheers, Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: