FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 14, 2024, 04:24:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Finish on FC dashboard top  (Read 3617 times)
Mick Wilson
« on: November 25, 2003, 09:42:41 AM »

I am about to respray the "top black" section of the FC Dashboard, can anyone tell me if the finish should Huh be Gloss, Satin, or matt
Rgds
Just Mick
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2003, 10:41:59 AM »

I believe the colour is a dark charcoal grey with flattner added to remove the gloss.  No colour code exists for this colour that I know of.

Ken
Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2003, 10:44:35 AM »

Mick,

I believe it to be satin, however my cars are all grey across the top of the dash, not black.

When I restored my '58 about 11 years ago, I took the ash tray lid to the local auto paint shop and they mixed up an eye match to a satin finish taken from inside the lid.

Gloss is inappropriate for that position as it will reflect on the windscreen, and matt will most likely be marked by fingerprints etc.

If by chance, you are talking about the shroud to the instrument panel, they are definatley gloss black.

Hope this helps,

Regards

Edward
Just Mick
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2003, 10:53:12 AM »

Thanks, Guy's
Just show's you, it pays to ask I thought the top was black !
Rgds
Just Mick   Grin
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2003, 03:28:16 AM »

This has been discussed a few times.  I've had a quick search tho, and can't find a formula.  Best bet is to get it matched from an ashtray lid or another car.

BTW -  if you log in rather than being a guest you'll see the club area etc.  We've received your cheque and granted you the access.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
craiga
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2003, 05:28:48 AM »

RET's correct, this has been mentioned a few times before.

My dash top was matched to the original from under the ashtray and a Chrysler Valiant Black formula was found to be near identical. Flattener was added and the result is very close to original.

Unfortunately I don't have the exact colour name/formula but should be able to find out if anyone is really interested.

Cheers,

Craig.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2003, 05:29:06 AM by craiga » Logged
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2003, 09:43:02 PM »

Craig,
IM interested in this flattener.. how does it work? ie do u just add a certain amt to the pot, mix and spray?

does it affect the stability of the colour or paint itself?

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
craiga
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2003, 11:51:31 PM »

Ed,

Flattener is a paint additive that allows you to adjust the gloss level of your finish. It is used by hot rodders to give the finish a matt look while still retaining the protective qualities of a normal paint finish. It is also used by car manufacturers for interior finishes. You should be able to source it easily at your local auto paint supplier.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Craig.
Al
nsw-club

I love FC Ute's!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2003, 12:30:27 PM »

Mick,
  You can pick up a spray can of  Satin Black from any paint shop and all you have to do is shake the can and apply the paint.    Sooooooo easy!

Cheers Al

See ya
Al
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: