FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 13, 2024, 12:29:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Grey or red motor ?  (Read 4388 times)
Tony FC5859

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2003, 07:44:53 AM »

I've had my latest Fc for about  18 months, brought it from Orbost in Victoria. It was my daily driver until recently having done aprox 16000 miles in it. It still goes very well but its now has major oil leaks and is fumey. It still has a grey motor, but has Jack Myer headers, leather trim,bright red paint and dragway mags. I'm planning to have a grey motor rebuilt but should I consider a 149 or 161 red motor?. I would be very interested in anyones comments.   Smiley thanks Tony Styles (in Tassie)
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2003, 08:30:56 AM »

My Opinion (Only)

The car has already been modified some what so why keep the grey. If your car had original interior and paint I would say keep it.

As for the red It is a personal choice, I would go the 186 twin carbs and few other bitz and pieces.

If you do decide on the red, I would be very keen on the headers.

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
ChrisB

"Shiny Bits"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2003, 07:22:40 PM »

If your going to use the car everyday I would modify it, but if your going to put it on concessional rego you might want to check your local RTA for regs. Each state seems to still have a variation on this.
In ACT its still vague but period mods are acceptable, NSW is original only

Cheers ChrisB  Cool
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2003, 04:44:28 AM »

In NSW and Vic you can fit a 149 without making any other mods.  Anything bigger and you need engineer's report and all the usual other things like discs, 2speed wipers, belts, heater/demister etc etc.

Other states vary, and I'd be interested to know what the rules are in Tasmania.  Also, if modifieds are allowed to have some form of limited use rego over there I'd like to know about it - seems NSW is the only place that enforces stockies only on historic/limited use rego.

In other states limited use tends to mean less than 5000 miles/year, typically weekends only.  Could you do that many miles on the Apple Isle anyway? Tongue

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Tony FC5859

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2003, 08:48:05 AM »

G'day all, thanks for the replies, I think I am going to stick with the grey motor, they cruise along at 60 or 70 miles an hour easy enough, which is fast enough for me. I am not sure about  the rego laws in Tassie , but I think you would need to upgrade the brakes if you went to a larger engine. Also does anybody run their grey motor on unleaded petrol?   thanks Tony
FCwagon
vic-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2003, 08:25:13 PM »

Hi Tony,
Good choice if you're wanting to aviod engine swap hassles with the rego mob. After all, you can make a grey go hard and still keep it reliable, you've just got to fit a steel timing gear set. I run both my greys on straight unleaded and they go really well. Don't have the rough idle and hard starting anymore after ditching that ULP crap. I plan to swap motors for a red and/or a V8 in the future so I'm not worried by valve seat recession problems. If you are doing up a grey, just fit hardened valve seats & valves and you can run straight unleaded forever.
cheers,
Leigh

Red & white is alright
Tony FC5859

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2003, 05:16:55 AM »

G'day Leigh , thanks for the advice, I am having a grey motor built  over winter , and because LRP will be phased out in the next couple of years I reckon I may as well get it built to suit unleaded. thanks again.  Smiley                   Tony
EJ_Dave

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2003, 02:18:57 AM »

Tony,

I drive an EJ with a 138 grey motor as a daily driver and am very happy with it. I had the motor rebuilt 3 years ago with hardened valve seats and I run straight unleaded. It is not quick but is very flexible and easy to drive with the 3 speed crash box. It is stock apart from extractors and a 2 inch exhaust.

I have fitted a taller (3.55) ratio diff which makes 60-65mph cruising very comfortable but doesn't compromise flexibility around town too much. If you do any highway driving I'd recommend this but if not, the standard ratio is fine around town. With either diff ratio I use around 13l/100km around town which I think is pretty good (similar to a new Commodore- would a red be as good?).

I think if you're not after power a grey is a good option because it runs so easily on unleaded which reds don't. The only downside is a grey will cost more to rebuild.

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: