FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 17, 2024, 07:32:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: rear diff for v6 conversion?  (Read 7300 times)
njf690

Model: FC

heya

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2008, 07:08:26 PM »

after a place in brisbane queensland that has or will shorten a commo diff for v6 conversion to my fc project. with all suspension?

JB
qld-club
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 08:26:34 PM »

Not in Brisbane, but try V6 conversions in Moree... Around $800

Phone +64 223509263
njf690

heya

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 08:33:53 PM »

rod at rods racks said that a he knows of 2 blokes who do it 1 at the sunshine coast and other in toowoomba.

any idea or clues anyone
old-blu
nsw-club

Model: FE and FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 07:49:37 PM »

The Firm that shortened a VS diff to suit my ute was --- Aussie Diffs Gold Coast CURRUMBIN. [O7 55983144]
  Address Lot 9 Hayter St. CURRUMBIN. Mine was done in 2001, so prices will have changed.
  He shortened the diff, cleaned off anything I didn't need to suit the FC. [ I retrained the Spring leaf bum], Supplied a RH Axle, resplined the LH Axle,supplied & fitted 1 set of pinion bearings, 1  set of carrier bearings, 1 pinion oil seal, re-set the carrier unit & deburred the cup set.  Total Cost GST included $ 935.
  He also makes up new Banjo diffs for the " Stock FE/FC cars". My ute is powered by a supercharged VS [ I had a single piece tailshaft made up locally to suit. I supplied the original 2 piece VS Tailshaft & the engineer took off what he needed].
  If you live in Brisbane, then a trip down to Byron might be of assistance. Send me a priv. email.
                                             Cheers Old-Blu.

6th, may 1958 "I was there".
njf690

heya

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 10:04:17 AM »

thanks for that. helps me heaps. cant wait to get the ball moving a bit faster.

cheers
FCOV6

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 02:16:53 PM »

On the same note, where in Melbourne can i get my housing shortened and long axle cut/re splined ?
 I picked up a VN diff  yesterday and have already removed all the uneeded bracketry and stripped the housing bare.
mikey

Werribee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 02:51:30 PM »

Although I do not have a comm diff yet, I had been doing a bit of research on shortening them and this is what I found.

I have not done this myself and am open to being corrected.

From what I can find out the axle tubes are pushed into the diff housing and can't remember if they are riveted or welded in 3 spots.  Undo these rivets or welds on the long tube and pull it out and cut it down to length of the other side (short tube)

Push the tube back in to the housing and weld it back in ensuring that the tubes are in line. Buy another short axle slip it in and the job is done, one shortened diff.

I did look at it a whole ago but can't remember how wide it was when shortened but someone here will know. Did read that it ends up 1/2 shorter than a UC torana diff.  Width of UC Huh??

Obviously a basic and condensed version bit you get the basics.

When you say it quickly it doesn't seem that hard does it?

Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!
FCOV6

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 08:42:29 PM »

Although I do not have a comm diff yet, I had been doing a bit of research on shortening them and this is what I found.

I have not done this myself and am open to being corrected.

From what I can find out the axle tubes are pushed into the diff housing and can't remember if they are riveted or welded in 3 spots.  Undo these rivets or welds on the long tube and pull it out and cut it down to length of the other side (short tube)

Push the tube back in to the housing and weld it back in ensuring that the tubes are in line. Buy another short axle slip it in and the job is done, one shortened diff.

I did look at it a whole ago but can't remember how wide it was when shortened but someone here will know. Did read that it ends up 1/2 shorter than a UC torana diff.  Width of UC Huh??

Obviously a basic and condensed version bit you get the basics.

When you say it quickly it doesn't seem that hard does it?

Hi Mikey, after i posted i had a surf and another look at the diff at came to the same conclusion as you did with one exception. The reason there are two different length tubes in due to the crownwheel being offset to one side so using two short tubes will make place the pinion offset and cause vibrations and premature uni failure. Shortening both tubes and getting just one axle cut/ re splined seems to be the best alternative. While surfing the net i also read that VB-VL diffs are shorter but by how much i dont know and even if they are a bolt proposition - more food for thought. My diff cost me $25 so if i stuff it i wont cry.

regards,
Nick.
FCOV6

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 09:02:39 PM »

Also just read on another site that a Skyline R31 uses a borg warner diff same as the VN but it is 100mm shorter, before i go any further i mat have to go to the wreckers and measure a skyline and a VB-VL diff.
simins
vic-club

Our Toys

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 04:16:08 PM »

I have used Central Diffs with good results
Ph 03 9555 0933
45 Fairview st Springvale
Ask for John and tell him your from the FE/FC Club he will be happy to help you out

Simon Addison
FCOV6

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 04:22:14 PM »

I have used Central Diffs with good results
Ph 03 9555 0933
45 Fairview st Springvale
Ask for John and tell him your from the FE/FC Club he will be happy to help you out

Simon Addison

Thanks Simon, i have decided to give it a go myself, now i have the diff stripped its not too difficult.
njf690

heya

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 03:15:08 PM »

found a bloke in Maryborough called Barsby spare parts that will supply a converted commodore diff with commo disc brake set up with special made hand brake cable to suit. and ford tailshaft. and also supply the ecotec motor and gearbox as well in conversion kit form to suit . very good bloke to deal with and very knowledgable in this kind of conversion and many others.

http://www.barsbyspares.com.au/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: