FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:39:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: adjusting valve clearances on a grey  (Read 2416 times)
oldgmh

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2004, 07:09:54 AM »

It says in the Holden Shop Manual to adjust the valve clearances with the engine running and when at normal operating temperature.
Having the engine running just seems to make a mess with the oil and squashes the feeler guages.  I tend to do it with the engine stopped and turned over by hand to where the valve being adjusted is fully closed.

My question is :  
Does anyone adjust their valve clearances with the engine running and does it pulverise their feeler guages??
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2004, 01:01:57 PM »

to adjust while motor is going,get yourself an old stock cover and cut the whole top out of it and sit on motor with a few bolts holding it on this allows you to work without the oil running down the sides of the motor, as for feeler guages being pulverised ,i have done a few motors over the years without destroying the feelers but mine are good quality blue point brand from the Snap On Tools van, your best bet would to be doing the adjustments with motor stopped so they are close then warm up motor and redo them.

Spinner
nsw-club

Whitewalls - more than 'just' a way of life.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2004, 12:18:53 AM »

I have adjusted the rocker clearances with motor running for all the solid lifter cars that I've had (Morris 1100S, FC Van, Slant 6 VE, Hot red motored HK).

The feller gauges have not been damaged by this process at all.  I have found as suggested above that a topless  Wink rocker cover  is great to stop oil going everywhere.  Another useful hint is to wear some goggles as oil in your eyes causes your attention to wander from valve lash clearance...  Wink

Cheers

Spinner

(0414) 49-6706.  d5461 on Ebay.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: