FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:56:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Black FC Special sedans  (Read 2281 times)
Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2004, 09:06:59 AM »

Are FC Specials in single tone black rare?

I was looking at a black one today and noticed that it had maroon coloured door shut areas and door frames.

I checked the paint codes in the tech section, thinking it may have been a maroon coloured car painted black at some stage, however the paint code: 4-627 checked out to be single tone black.

Any comments would be appreciated.
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 09:33:07 AM »

Hi Edward,
My black FC special has maroon around the door frames etc. I'm sure thats how they were painted from new.
My Paint code is 253-6258
     Trim               4-627
Regards ACE Cool
P.S. I'd say Black FC Specials are pretty rare these days.
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2004, 09:34:08 AM »

Ed,

That's original.  All single-tone Specials have a second colour inside, and it's typically a dark red on black cars, which always had a red interior.

Don Loffler talks at length about this in his "FJ Holden" book.  The idea of a second colour on the dash for single-tone specials was introduced during the FJ, and ran on from there (of course the FJ was also the first two-tone Holden).  It actually had the name "Duo-Tone Styling" during the FJ period, but the name appears to have fallen into disuse after that, although the concept is still the same.

At no time was the paint number for the interior ever shown on the ID tag, even on the FJ.  There are interesting photos in Don's book of wrecks of Duo-Tone cars.  Apparently the second colour's name (or short-hand version of it) was often chalked onto the firewall before painting.  The paint never adhered properly to the chalk, and eventually the name showed through again.

I've never seen an FE or FC like that though.  It's my impression that the Duo-Tone colour on FEs and FCs was either:
a) a colour that was already available with the primary colour in a two-tone version (my FE is like this, with a Teal Blue interior), or
b) a contrasting colour that suited the interior colours, (like the FC you saw).

Hope that's some help.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2004, 09:59:18 AM »

Thanks guys.

Were the black cars a special order, say for government, or could you walk off the street and buy one?

The paint codes are the same as yours Ace.

It is a Sydney built car with the original engine. July'59, apparently, but it has the early interior light switches in the A pillar, not the round ones.

Usual rust......
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2004, 01:24:16 AM »

I don't believe they were special order.  Usually vehicles that were had some sort of distinguishing numbers on the ID plate.  Certainly I know of a few one-owner since new single-tone Special Black cars around.

Most fleet cars were standard sedans, rather than Specials, anyway.

Hope that helps,
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2004, 09:57:19 AM »

When my parents were married, they had single tone black FC Specials hired as wedding cars. So, they were certainly used commercially, but couldn't say if they were special ordered.
Regards
Alex

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: