FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:27:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel gauge stuck  (Read 4413 times)
Plum57

Model: FE

1957 FE

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2015, 03:20:57 PM »

Hi.   I have half a tank of fuel and recently changed to a new  fuel pump replacing the vaccum  fuel pump which was leaking fuel.   I have electric wipers so no need for the vacuum line.   Somehow the fuel gauge is now stuck showing full.     The gauge working fine prior to replacing the pump.  Q. Does the vacuum line have anything to do with this? 

I don't think it is electrical or fuel sender ...it is something I have done replacing the fuel pump.
I do have an inline fuel filter from pump to carby which is on top of the motor so not sure about this?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Peter

Geoff_K
nsw-club

The 2 BAY s

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 05:43:32 PM »

The fuel pump is a 'mechanical' device, and is 'completely isolated' from the electric 'fuel gauge dash unit & associated in tank sender unit.
Your problem with the gauge is co-incidental.
Check your wiring for 'loose connections, shorts etc', or let your trusty auto-electrician check it out.
A lot of original gauges & tank units are now (after 50 years) somewhat tempermental / faulty, and if this is case take BOTH units as a set to an Auto-instrument and they can nearly always fix it for you.
Geoff_K   
Plum57

1957 FE

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 06:12:22 PM »

Thanks Geoff.   

Temperamental thing I thought it may have been something I upset changing the fuel pump.   I will have to do the auto elec as you suggest.   Appreciate your reply

Peter
collecta
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 09:50:16 PM »

Hi Peter, did the vac fuel pump still have the original braided fuel line? It sounds like you have an earthing issue try earthing out the sender body to boot floor or the like with a piece of wire and take note what the gauge does.
cheers
Scott

i collect old holdens coz they never die!
Plum57

1957 FE

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 02:06:08 PM »

Hi Scott. 
Yes I still had the braided fuel line to the vaccum fuel pump but now removed for a fuel hose.   I am also replacing steel fuel line from pump to carby brand new.

I will look at the wiring...bit of electrical tape over the years hiding things.

I will see if that get the gauge moving.

Thanks

Peter
collecta
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 05:02:45 PM »

No worries the braided line is actually a factory body to engine earth point.
Scott

i collect old holdens coz they never die!
Plum57

1957 FE

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 07:40:56 PM »

That's very interesting because the braided line was removed and straight after the gauge goes to the right.   There are a number of threads on the forum with quite a few owners experiencing this issue.   Frustrating not having tell tale tank guide for fuel.

I need to check the sender to gauge wiring / loose connections / earth .   Braided line earth to engine point is now fuel hose non metal to fit a inline fuel filter before the pump.
Also
I have found the electrical diagram colour coded wiring on photo bucket loaded up as a link on the forum....so much better than the manual.

Peter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: