FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 15, 2024, 09:14:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FE Ute - Legal Engine Upgrades/Brake Conversions  (Read 17395 times)
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2012, 05:57:23 PM »

Depends what wheels you wanna run, why not HQ stubs, gotta be a bit careful with torana ones, it affects geometry and they might be hard to get down there. You will need to keep the HR stub axles, as Torana  have the wrong inclination, and will not allow you to set up the front end geometry correctly (castor and camber will be affected, making front tyres chatter on turn probably).

HQ or later discs (up to WB) can also be used, allowing for a change to the later Holden. But depends on what ya want to do with the rears. It's quite cheap and easy to do a shortened borg warner diff at the back, either drum or disc. Again you have some thinking to do while its being re bodied  Grin

You should have a look at some of the build pages mate, lots of info, or use the search function and type in "sub axles". It really depends how far you gotta go, I dont see the point paying a blaster to spend hours blasting stuff you wont keep, like outer sills, when the inner sills are not exposed, the floor when its gunna be completely replaced etc etc... Ask your fabricator dude if they can cut the outer sills off if they are knackered, get it to bracing stage and all bits off, then see if they can get a mobile guy to come into where its being worked on and only blast what needs it. I'd personally do as many flat or accessible  panels with a large polishing type sanding disk, 80 grit or lower and get hard areas blasted, but all depends how much u wanna do yourself.

But you will get differing opinions, but its a lot of wasted money on painting areas that are gunna be scrapped. It also depends if you wanna do a rotisserie job or roller.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2012, 09:42:09 PM »

Torana stub axles have the wrong camber angle- they will fit but wheel alignment will be out. Hk-HZ stub axles are another possibility but wheel choice is changed to 14 inch. Dropped stubs can be used OK.

Yes blast first - then start repairs

Not up to date with current pricing

Ken
Damo-Damo

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 10:40:24 PM »

Hey Ken....found the wreck that I pinched the brown covered seat from....couple of problems, a tree has decided to fall over it, and someone has nicked the id plates on you, it looks like it has had an aftermarked special upgrade, neither the white paint or the green are the original, the engine bay shows some of the brown which is a match to the brown vinyl on my seat, there was also a vinyl door trim to match in the wreck still, the brown vinyl is definantly original.

Got my HR front end, just fixing up a few bits for it and have also managed to find the last couple of bits I was missing, have started stripping and blasting in a fortnight or so.  Does anyone do the vinyl door trims to match original that I can buy and fit myself?

Also someone will know, did the FE come out with those built in armrests in the front trims or only the FC's, was thinking of getting a set of '56 Chev armrests, is this what an FE would of had?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: