FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:58:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Motor/Trans Conversion  (Read 11920 times)
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2004, 09:01:57 AM »

I can understand both sides of the argument...

However, I do know a mate replaced his hydro/179 in his EJ sedan and replaced it with a 186/trimatic and HR disc front end and he paid $3500 at a workshop - so the quote seems about right.

Just to do my HR brakes myself its cost

rotors - $220 for pair (new)
master cylinder - $88 reco
pads - $50
cylinders - $50
shoes - $59
bearings - $50 set of 2
booster - reco $225 (but they are about $582 new at repco
caliper reco - $220 pair (mates rates)
brake fluid - $10
bearing grease - $5

Thats just shy of a grand and i havent even paid someone to connect the lines... so an HR front, motor and trans fitted without getting your hands dirty is reasonable.

(not to mention spending three hours trying to pop out a bearing cup)

on the other hand knowing that you can buy a red motor for $250 that realisticaly may run like a dream forever makes you think you can do it cheaper... and i don't doubt it can be done.

If i knew how to do everything I would, but unfortunatly I don't. Until I find someone whos willing to help me out I just have to pay.

Although i'e got a big hole burnt in my busted arse student pocket I'm having a ball playing with my old bomb.

We just need to find a mechanic that charges $20 an hour!!!!!

my two cents
Dave Grin
oldgmh

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2004, 11:53:02 AM »

whoaoaoao neddy ....

this discussion is common to all types of situations, and it's called .... different horses for different courses.

Meaning if you want to do it, then go ahead.  If you don't want to do it, then don't.  
I can't justify spending $3500 for a holiday in Asia, but I can justify spending $3500 for a new drive train.  Asia gives me the runs, but a drive train will make me run better.

So do what ya want, otherwise the world would be full of automatons!

so there ya go!!
Earlee
earlyholdenfan

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2004, 02:25:51 AM »

That's spot on Earlee
I too have no inclination to go to Asia or any other foreign country! but will quite gladly spend double the dollars needed to do work on any one of my cars!
Just to throw my two cents in the ring on the red conversion topic, I have neither time nor ability (without copious quantities of alcohol) to change the running gear over from grey to red, so when I last considered this move for the EK, I too got a quote for a drive in and drive out solution and modification plate for the three to four thousenad dollars mark, so the quote posted by Surferboy seemed perfectly fair and reasonable to me, and the up side is it was a forum member so you would expect the job to be carried out by people that know their stuff and care about the car more than the profit made.
I concur that this method is not for everyone, I would like to have the ability to do it myself so, maybe next time, if time allows I will do it, but for now the pay someone to do it for me option appeals to me!
Back to the original question, I personally feel that if you want to be able to learn and do the running repairs for yourself then the red motor will be the better option, if you have a large amount of cash sitting idle and want to have to get the car serviced by a mechanic (ie fuel injection, etc etc) then get the V6 dropped in, A very wise man once told me that you should always look at how much you want to be able to do yourself, how much you want to spend then do what will make you most happy...
Hope that helps
Matt

« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 02:32:03 AM by earlyholdenfan » Logged
surferboy
wa-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2004, 11:46:01 AM »

I'm to scared to mention the final price.

it was $4042.00

100 people with 100 different opinions.(thats what i like about this site , you definately don't get only one view of any topic ).
to add more detail to my original post (sorry to hijack your simple question fcphun ).
work was done by Mark B. at Mandurah auto recyclers. A club member with a very good reputation.
I left the wagon (my DAILY driver ) on his doorstep (without any warning)at 6.00pm wed. night last week as it broke down on the way home from Margaret River.It goes for police clearance tomorrow and i pick it up Fri.
what i got for my money.....173 blue motor,high compression,mild cam,electonic ignition,dual throat carby,auto choke,extractors,sump,heavyduty radiator,staight cut timing gear steel,b&m shifter.carpet, trimatic auto, 2 trans coolers,thermatic fan (&probably some stuff i cant remember).all fitted done & police passed. and i get tokeep the old grey(with brand new alt & rebuiltcarby) and the powerglide and anything else that was removed.

P.S.I dont do mechinical stuff. i'm the person who was told to find the engine no. near the distributor, but couldnt find it because the exhaust manifold was in the way !!!
Cool Cool Cool

cruisin's great with a 58
surferboy
wa-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2005, 03:10:43 AM »

BUGGER.
i will learn from my mistakes !
Cool Cool Cool

cruisin's great with a 58
GOA350
vic-club

FE's are great when they've got a V8

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2005, 07:09:19 AM »

just to throw a spanner in the works. Have you considered throwing a hot cam in the grey and fuel injecting her?
                    cheers GOA350
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: