FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 11, 2024, 11:30:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Losing Charge  (Read 10216 times)
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2004, 01:22:46 AM »

There's no reason I can immediately think of (although not near a car to check) that the battery box can't be moved aft of it's original position with just a relocation of the bolt holes that hold the thing in place.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

Model: FC

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2004, 09:47:38 AM »

Hey Guys,

It seems so long since this topic was started...Thanks for your replies. I'm still waiting for the local auto-electrician to book me in (seems he has a lot of customers in winter - or maybe he just doesn't like the nightmare that is a modified car's electrical system).

Anyway, the car hasn't moved since the last posting.

However, I am a little confused. Someone replied that welding cable should not be used in the car. However, on the weekend I went to a reputable speed shop and asked the guy running it (a former drag racer) who swears by welding cable and says it better than most. I'm confused?

Also: Just thought of this: My interior light is/has been disconnected. It does work when connected. Could this be the source of the power drain?

Regards,

Josh
Pat
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2004, 01:13:24 AM »

i had the same problem with my fathers car
the battery is in the boot also, mounted in a battery box
the way it was explained to me the longer the leads the more charge you lose
you may also found that the cranking speed will speed up if leads are storter (for starting)
to fix the problem i picked up a 55amp alternater from the local wreackings and haven't had the same problem again.
hope this solves your problem works will if me
Effie C

Model: other Holden

Still Lost & Confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2004, 04:58:07 AM »

However, I am a little confused. Someone replied that welding cable should not be used in the car. However, on the weekend I went to a reputable speed shop and asked the guy running it (a former drag racer) who swears by welding cable and says it better than most. I'm confused?

Also: Just thought of this: My interior light is/has been disconnected. It does work when connected. Could this be the source of the power drain?
Regards,

Josh

Josh
As to welding cable, we found as per previous reply that over time the wires develop a white powder within the rubber sheath and start  to get a high resistance (read voltage drop) along there length. This was from many years use in earthmoving gear landcruisers Holden etc in the mines. I could be wrong but most drag cars don’t do a lot of road miles and really don't get much use of the starter motor, like how often do you start the motor going down a quarter of a mile.
Any how you will find the correct battery cable your auto sparky will fit is much cheaper than the right size welding cable. But it is your car and your call. Smiley

Interior light on all the time will drain the battery overnight.
Good Luck
John M

LIVE LIFE ONE DAY AT A TIME,FOR TOMORROW MAY NEVER COME!

Photo Site:http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v161/EffieC/
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2004, 05:15:47 AM »

i fitted a car alarm to my old FC and the flashing armed light for alarm would drain it enough to set off alarm in middle of the night,disconnected alarm after running around 3 times one night looking for thief ,replaced battery with new heavy duty battery and connected alarm again with no problems if i used car every day,if left for more than 4 days without starting car and alarm would go off again
reguards Nick

Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

Model: FC

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2004, 01:23:50 AM »

Hey guys.

Just wanted to share a note of thanks to those who shared their ideas.

Three long days at the auto electrician and the FC is now running beautifully  Cool, and holding it's charge.  Grin

It was a combination of a dud battery, a 'live' dead wire and as well as wires from the nitrous still being live (it's been disconnected Roll Eyes, and rubbing on the bonnet hinge.

A new globe in the front left indicator bezel is staying put.

P.S. A bit if a 'learn as you go' story... I didn't know that if a globe is missing from the indicator, the dash indicator lights fowl as well.

P.P.S. Fitted quartz halogen headlights, another 'learn as you go'. Not as hard (or as simple) as it looks.  Wink

Thanks once again.

Josh
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: