FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 12, 2024, 09:32:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Grey motor electronic distributor  (Read 38017 times)
sooops
« on: February 13, 2009, 07:48:05 AM »

G'day.

Does anyone know if a "new" electronic distributor is available for a grey motor? I recently bought a brand new HEI unit for a red motor (built in coil and big cap) from a mob in Adelaide and I'm very pleased with it's performance. Unfortunately they don't offer the same for the grey.
Alternatively, can anyone recommend someone who can do an electronic conversion?

Regards,

Sooops
 Huh
Rusty_T
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 09:44:08 AM »

Soops,

Have a look at "Real Cars - Members Photo Album" and read the last post by Custom FC. Page 5 will explain what he did with the Distributor for the "Bad Girl" Hope this helps.

Rusty
Jonno

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 10:27:08 AM »

Hi,
I had my wagon upgraded to electronic ignition by Performance Ignition Services in Nunawading but I'm sure they could post you the unit:

http://www.performanceignition.com.au/home

They seem happy (even pleased) to work on older cars and its a fairly tidy installation:

Jonno

Cottles Bridge, VIC
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 04:22:58 PM »

Check these threads out where this topic has been discussed before:

http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,10613.msg62625.html#msg62625
http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,12418.msg74367.html#msg74367

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
sooops
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 08:46:59 PM »

G'day all,

Thanks very much for all the information, it's a great help.

Sooops. Grin
GOA350
vic-club

FE's are great when they've got a V8

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 05:27:05 PM »

Hi everyone, I'm curently modifying an XE Falcon EI to siut my Grey Motor and it looks pretty simple if you have access to a lathe. I'll let you know the result when its completed,
                                                         Cheers Scott
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 09:11:37 PM »

I have followed this thread and the attached threads with interest. With points getting a little harder to get (I have been unable to source Bosch GB 504), it maybe time to go down this route as well.

Through these threads and my research I have come to a number of possibilities.
1. The Scorcher unit.
2. Cranes Fireball as described by RET
3. Pertronix Ignitor
4. A CDI kit from Jaycar.

All have their pro's and con's. The Scorcher looks like a good option. Its compact and doesn't seem out of place but the price might be a little prohibitive (would take a lot of points to cover the cost). The Crane Fireball has been described very well by RET. The Pertronix Ignitor looks like a great alternative. The module is enclosed under the distributor cap and everything looks ridgy didge. While not as expensive as the Scorcher it is dearer than the Fireball. Finally the CDI unit while not truly not a true electronic ignition has an external box (like the fireball) and still uses points. I have been told that you may never have to replace the points again with a CDI kit. It is the cheapest of all the options but can cause problems with cross over between cylinders which if the leads aren't insulated properly could lead to possible internal damage. Apparently these kits have improved over the years.

I would be very interested in comments on any of the above units before making an informed decision. I am interested how these work, ie: how they achieve proper timing and how they work with the vacuum advance of the old grey's. Do they take into account using unleaded fuel etc... Any thought would be great.

Scott have you got any update on you Falcon modification.I would be interested on how these go in light of my above thoughts.

Cheers and thanks again.

Rod
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 01:52:57 PM »

Scott, how have you got on with the Falcon modification? I would be interested in your progress.

I have also come across the following site in the US - http://www.Hot-Spark.com and they post to AUS. I got some info back from them and this was there reply.
"Yes, quite possibly. I'm not familiar with Holden, but our ignition kits fit generally fit 1968 and later Bosch distributors with one-piece points. The 3BOS6U1L kit fits 6-cyl Bosch distributors with left-hand points. The 3BOS6U1 kit fits 6-cyl Bosch distributors with right-hand points. Please compare the points in your distributor to the photo of points on our website, http://www.Hot-Spark.com , to know which kit to order. Also, the magnet sleeve fits distributor shaft cam lobes measuring about 15.85mm from flat spot to flat spot, and not the larger distributor shaft cam lobes measuring 17.5mm or so."

On further investigation the lobes seem to around 15.85mm on my measurements but out dizzys have a post. I think (as RET mentioned in a previous post) that if the post was removed this unit would fit up well. Seems like a good option if it works and its not expensive once you take the dollar conversion into consideration.

Whats everyone's thoughts? Is it work getting? Has anyone used / come across these before?

Cheers

Rod

GOA350
vic-club

FE's are great when they've got a V8

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 02:08:57 PM »

Hi Rod, No good with the Falcon Dizzy. Everything looked alright at the beginning, but once i had turned down the body of the dizzy then went to fit it in the block, it hit the side plate. It ended up sitting too low, so i ended up ringing up Scorcher and sending down a cam gear off an old points dizzy and my cam details and they made me a brand new one. It fits perfect, i wouldnt bother stuffing around with something like that again. It can be done if you don't mind peening in the side plate, but you still end up with a second hand dizzy,
               Cheers Scott
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 10:43:54 PM »

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the update.

I decided to go with the Pertronix Ignitor kit. I had to make just one minor modification to the pivot pin which included some slight filing (minor indeed). Set it up and it worked an absolute treat. The Hot Spark while being significantly cheaper would have needed much modification including the removal of the pivot pin. Then there was no guarantee that it would work. I discounted the Cranes Fireball and CDI only because I wanted to keep a relative stock look and they had external boxes. Both the Ignitor and Hot Spark's modules fit under the dizzy cap.

I have read that with electronic ignition you can open up the spark plug gap by 5 thou. Someone hear maybe able to confirm this.

For those interested I ordered the kit from the USA and it arrived just under 6 days from ordering. Would struggle to get it from an Aussie seller that quick. It was a little less than half the cost here (delivered)with the conversion taken into account.It would even be cheaper now as the Aussie $ has gone up. The kit number is 1864A.

Its been an interesting exercise and been a learning experience.

Cheers

Rod
Trevor_B
vic-club

Model: FC

Melbourne VIC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 02:00:41 PM »

Hey Rod,
Can you give me some details of how you purchased the PerTronix unit. Their Web site indicates they do not sell into Australia.

Thanks,
Trevor_B

FC Sedan, Ute & Wagon .... only a Panel Van required to make the set
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 05:32:54 PM »

Sure can Trev,

Here we go- http://www.vintageperformance.com/retrorockets/bosch.htm

I've had the kit installed for just over a week and only opened the gap of the plugs up to 35thou on the weekend. While I can't say for certain that there has been a power increase, the engine seems to be smoother. Also I haven't taken accurate records but I believe there has been an improvement in fuel consumption.

I suspect you went to the PerTronix site in the US where as RetroRockets is a supplier of their products. I understand why they wouldn't send to us as they want to protect out distributor but how can we justify paying twice as much as the US. They need to be more realistic in their pricing and not to exploit Old Car Enthusiasts. I am sure RetroRockets are making a profit.

Hope the link helps.

Rod
Trevor_B
vic-club

Melbourne VIC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 07:53:47 PM »

Thanks Rod,
I will give them a try. $US93 + postage (about $130 Aussie) sounds better than the $300 from the local Australia Distrubtor...

I also found some installation details at this site: http://www.mbzponton.org/valueadded/maintenance/ignitionpert/ignitionpert.htm albeit a mercedes site but still a very similar Bosch distributor. They show a 47 series and confirm the 1864A unit fits a 38 & 32 series whereas the FC one is a 30 series so should be easy enough as you indicate.

Thanks again for your help.

Trevor_B

Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 09:19:23 PM »

No Probs Trev,

I closely followed more of the instructions at the bottom of the page. What ever you do DONT push down to hard on the magnet ring to get it seated (using socket as suggested).I broke off a little of the plastic on the top of the ring and hence the ring went down to far and car wouldn't start. Push down with thumb only.Then raised it slightly and all was good. Drove it around for 4 days until i glue the plastic together again. As I said in a previous post I had to modify the vacuum advance pivot pin as shown in the article you posted.

I had another look around and found cheaper places in the US than the one I used. Check this out also: http://www.warehouseautoparts.com/store/page45.html ($87.46 US) and http://www.carshopinc.com/index.php/cPath/21_24_22/page/3 ($77.95 US)

Cheers

Rod
Trevor_B
vic-club

Melbourne VIC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 06:44:03 PM »

Hi Rod,
Followed your advice re the Pertronix, purchased one from Warehouse parts http://www.warehouseautoparts.com/store/page45.html, paid $122 aussie to the door in 4 days.
Fitted this weekend following the guidance here: http://www.mbzponton.org/valueadded/maintenance/ignitionpert/ignitionpert.htm and had the ute running again in 45 mins.

Definite power increase although this could have been due to fitting a GT40 Bosch coil ($5 for a near new one at Warrigal swap meet last week  Smiley ).

Trevor_B

Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 10:50:11 PM »

Glad to here Trev that all worked out for you as well. I've thought about getting another one sent over at those prices for my FE sedan /to have as a spare. Wouldn't consider it if I had to purchase her in Oz.

Cheers

Rod
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2009, 08:40:10 AM »

Hi Trev is the GT40 Bosch coil a red coil and is it actually a GT40R with a R in the serial nember. Good stuuf on the electronic conversion. Good info.

Regards

Wayne
Trevor_B
vic-club

Melbourne VIC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 06:39:47 PM »

Hi Wayne,
It's a red bosch 12 Volt coil i.e. GT40 - definitely not the Resistor type (GT40R).

I learnt form this thread http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,4407.0.html that I needed a 12 Volt one hence the GT40.

Trevor_B

SSFX

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 02:11:05 PM »

hi there. long story short, i have a distributer out of a 138, Bosch type, that has been modified, and i don't know why. i wish to convert the dizzy to electronic ignition, but am unsure if it is possible with the mods that have already been done. here it is...

1) the linkage(s) coming out of the vacuum advance unit have been removed
2) the breaker plate appears to have been tack welded to either the plate under it or the wall of the dizzy.
3) there appears to be no other mods i can see.

what i would like to know is:

will these mods affect installation of electronic ignition?
why would anyone perform these mods to start with?
would i be better off leaving the dizzy as is?

the engine has a fairly chunky WEY cam, twin carbs on a Speco manifold, extractors, red motor inlet and exhaust valves and is bored out to (i think) 40 thou over.
the engine is a conglomeration of 3 stripped down engines, however the most of the speed bits came off an FC (i think) grey motor.

thanks for any help anyone can give,
SSFX
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 04:20:44 PM »

SSFX, your distributor seems to have been modified for full mechanical advance. That is what they did to mine when I had that done.

I don't know whether it can be changed to electronic.

Colin.

colt
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: