FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:19:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: treating inside doors  (Read 2497 times)
Kermit

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2004, 09:59:36 AM »

I am in the process of replacing all the doors on my FC. Can anyone advise me on the following. I want to coat the doors inside with sound proofing paint but if I do this, then paint the inside with fishoil, will the layer of sound proofing paint weaken or take away the rust proofing benefit of the fishoil.
I would appreciate comments
Thanks
Mick
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2004, 01:00:28 PM »

cant answer Question but i can tell you fish oil goes hard and after a few years gets cracks in it from shrinkage or body flex this allows water to catch in cracks and rust car panels while your driving around thinking alls right with your rust proofed car until its too late as bubbles appear under the paint, the only thing you can do with FO is recoat every few years,

ekmad
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2004, 01:08:46 PM »

I always feel that one of the best things is to try and keep dirt and dust out of the doors because it turns to mud when wet and then blocks the drain holes and then you get RUST.
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2004, 01:09:00 PM »

Mick,

In my experience the sound deadener and the fish oil aren't applied to the same places.  Usually the sound deadener is applied to the inside of the door skin, and typically to somewhere near 3" from each edge.  The fish oil is usually applied to the floor of the door, taking care to get it into the nooks and crannies as best you can.

It doesn't last forever, but if you make sure the drain holes are kept clean and clear it should last an awfully long time.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
craiga
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2004, 09:13:02 PM »

Mick,

I've posted before about this, I recommend and panel beaters use "Waxguard" around the joins in all panels. It excludes water AND dust and is used on many new cars.

RET is correct, paint the sound deadener on the inner door panel first THEN paint on the Waxguard. I painted the waxguard liberally inside the door so it ran out the drain holes, then after it had started to skin put paddle pop sticks in the holdes until the waxguard had set. Drain hole still works and waxguard fills the join between door skin and door frame. No rust, and NO DEAD FISH SMELL  Grin

Cheers,

Craig.
Kermit

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2004, 04:10:17 AM »

Thanks for the replys, much appreciated by this old / newcomer.
Rgds
Mick
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: