FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:53:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Help! Faulty wipers...& it's raining!  (Read 3583 times)
S Warhurst
« on: July 13, 2003, 10:12:13 PM »

The windscreen wipers on my FC Holden have stopped operating.
I can't see any obvious reason for them doing so, and as a result, I am unable to drive when it is raining. When I turn them on, you can see them trying to move, but they never proceed more than 10cm up the window.
Is this a simple thing to repair?
What could be the cause to the problem?
Where do I take the car to get them fixed asap? (Adelaide)

Thankyou for anyone that has some advice, or hopefully the answer.  Smiley
Jockster

Old Holdens never die they just go faster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2003, 10:22:57 PM »

If your car is running the original vacuum wipers, the fault is most likely with the vacuum pump (located at the bottom of the fuel pump. If it has been fitted with electric wipers then it is most likely a faulty wiper motor, so you will either need to replace it  or see an auto electrician.
Cheers
Jock

Cars are my life not just my work
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2003, 12:04:28 AM »

You should also check the hose between the wiper motor and the petrol pump to ensure it's not blocked or kinked.

You can't buy kits for vacuum wipers any more, but there are a few guys around who know how to service them.  Don't know any in Adelaide tho  :-/

If originality isn't important to you, send a PM to mcl1959.  He makes an excellent 2 speed electric wiper kit for FE/FC.  Even if originality is important to you I really reckon it's worth considering if you're using your car as a daily driver.  It's a bolt-on/bolt-off proposition - no drilling or other mods required.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2003, 01:58:11 AM »

in the meantime treat your glass with RAIN-X...

you can drive without wipers (*disclaimer*  possible but not normally recommended).

Cheers
Ed

in the shed
craiga
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2003, 02:47:32 AM »

Ed,

You're right when you recommend Rain-X. This DOES work, as proven early last year when we went on a club run to Mudgee in the pouring rain, and my wipers failed about 20 minutes after we left. The Rain-X kept the screen clear when the car was travelling above around 30 miles an hour. The water just slides off. They also make a product for the inside of the window that prevents fogging of the inside, handy when the passengers start heavy breathing!!

The wipers had always been sluggish on my car and when I restored it I found that the wiper shafts that comes through the cowl were VERY stiff. Cleaned and oiled this and the whole mechanism and now I get good wiper speed, even up hills.

Like RET says, with the car running remove the hose the comes from the vacuum pump at the wiper motor end and feel for vacuum. While partially covering the hose outlet (or preferably using a vacuum guage) rev the engine and check that the vacuum is maintained. If it is, the problem is in the wiper motor or mechanism, if there's very little or no vacuum the problem is in the pump. The pump is designed to supplement the engine vacuum when the engine is under load or at wider throttle openings, so if you've got good vacuum at idle and none at full throttle, then the pump is buggered. Most likely a cracked or broken diaphragm.

I've had a look on the Rare Spares website and they don't list a vacuum pump kit anymore  Sad
About a year ago it was there, about $60.00 or so.

Good Luck.

Cheers,

Craig.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2003, 02:49:23 AM by craiga » Logged
FE_225

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2003, 12:09:11 PM »

Also, check the little air valve thing on top of the wiper motor ( the bit that connects to the cable).  I found mine was blocked up with oil and dust and rubbish and the wipers did not work properly. Once that was all cleaned up, they worked good as new.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Tony

Worried about fuel economy?....Then buy a push bike!
brads59

OLD OLDENS=STYLE

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2003, 06:20:45 AM »

Word of warning,
Rain X antifog product is good but dont forget to buff it off after initial application.
Cheers BRAD

1959 Black Std sedan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: