FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:51:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Bailey Channel Refit  (Read 4868 times)
fcfromscratch
wa-club

FC - Fantastic Cars

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2002, 12:01:16 AM »

Hi Guys,

just thought I'd share the solution I found to replacing the Bailey Channel in my FC (I hope I'm not trying to teach others how to suck eggs here, but I haven't seen too much about Bailey Channel refits on this discussion page)

I know this is not original stuff and that some people are particular about that....but for those a little less particular, I obtained these mouldings off the shelf from my local Rare Spares stockist.

I found two different section mouldings to do the job.

The first one, which is wider, I used to go in the channel pressed into the door frame, cutting a "V" out of each side to form a mitre where the right angle is required at the top of each door.  I found that the "tails" on the back of this moulding served to keep it anchored in the channel in the door and when cut to length, it stayed in place well without adhesive.  This moulding is the standard replacement moulding for "HQ" window channel.

When I tried to see how I could make this one fit the division channel, I experimented with cutting the "tails" off the moulding...without success.  Eventually, I went back to the Rare Spares stockist (a local panelbeater shop) and showed him how it wouldn't fit...then he came up with the second, smaller moulding.

The second one is much smaller in cross section and more "square" than "flared".  It was a tight fit in the division channel but I made it seat better by using the glass to press it "home".  At first, the glass looked like it might be too tight to freely move up and down with the regulator mechanism....so I used spray-on silicone lubricant on the felt to let it "slip" more easily.....worked a treat!!

Hope this helps someone searching for a non-original but neat solution to Bailey Channel refit.....the stuff was only about $7 a metre.....

Brad
brads59

OLD OLDENS=STYLE

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2002, 05:22:31 AM »

Thanks for the tip Brad. Wink
I will keep that in mind mate cheers..... Smiley
BRAD.......

1959 Black Std sedan
HARKO
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2002, 11:42:06 AM »

Thank's Brad its these little niggly bit's in a rebuild that create so much timewasting ,But when guy's like yourself share such knowledge to help other's from going through the same routine it's a pleasure to be here on this channel ,,Harko
FCwagon
vic-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2002, 10:13:26 PM »

Thanks for the detailed info Brad,
I'm about to start a resto on my new sedan and will need to replace all rubbers and window channels. This tip will save me heaps in $'s
Cheers,
Leigh

Red & white is alright
FC2104

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2002, 11:02:34 PM »

Brad,
I would like to thank you for your information but I have one question ,you said that the larger bailey channel came from a HQ but where did the smaller one come from
Dean
« Last Edit: September 17, 2002, 11:04:16 PM by FC2104 » Logged
fcfromscratch
wa-club

FC - Fantastic Cars

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2002, 01:29:12 AM »

Dean,

sorry for the delay in reply, I've been on shift....

went down to the place I got the stuff today to find out a product code or something.  

he looked in the Rare Spares catalogue under "Flocked Rubber Glass Channel" and the product code was 64-026

hope this helps....Brad
FC2104

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2002, 01:50:31 AM »

Brad,
Thanx for the reply i to work on shift
i will go down and see my rare spares supplier
Dean Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...