FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:03:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: My FC Rebuild  (Read 216474 times)
DJ
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 03, 2014, 03:36:07 PM »

I think a combination may work best. Recessed to extend the length/reduce the kink, and angled slightly so both ends face each other square when the door is half open.

Dave
0417 270 315
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 08, 2014, 03:29:13 PM »

I've worked out after a couple of trail fits that a recessed box with a swivel will fix the problem. I'm making the boxes now and used 90% plumbers bends for the pivots. The plan is to cut out the lower recess above the bottom hinge and weld the box in it's place, test fits have shown this will work. I'll post the photos when finished.
Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
Crumpsnr

Shellharbour NSW

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 08, 2014, 06:12:52 PM »

Hi Jim,
I'm keen to see how this turns out because I'll be facing the same problem further down the line.  Regards, Martyn
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 08, 2014, 09:17:06 PM »

Jim,
I think you have a few of us following this with great interest, and for the same reason as Martyn.
How's the recovery coming along?

Dave
0417 270 315
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 08, 2014, 10:23:18 PM »

My wife came home with the mail and the new looms had come, so now I can see how these will fit as they will be what I will be using on the car. I will check that they are the same as the one Wayne sent down for testing.
Dave, it's been three weeks now and all seems fine, I have a bit of pain behind one of the cuts from time to time but on the whole all is good. I'm not over straining myself, just an hour or so every other day, only so much tv and sitting on the lounge it's a real pain and any heavy stuff I get my son to help.
Jim

DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 08, 2014, 11:17:15 PM »

Good to hear there's steady progress.

Dave
0417 270 315
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 09, 2014, 11:37:48 AM »

Success, the box and swivel have done the trick. After a couple of goes, I have the box and swivel tacked into the pillar, refitted the door and loom and presto, problem solved.
Box and swivel is 100mmhx60mmwx55mmd

this will be remade a bit wider to fit the cut out fully.
door opens and closes without a problem

the chrome bends and extention used for the swivel, fitted with 3/4" washers

and the new looms with the 5 core trailer wire fitted.

Now it's just a matter of making the resized box and swivel and I will be able to fit them to the car.(could be a while, the body is telling me to slow down)

Jim

JB
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 09, 2014, 12:10:23 PM »

That looks like it is starting to take shape nicely.

You could nearly box the whole lot and just cut a slot for the cable to 'swivel' in...
15mm high by say 40 or 50mm long with radiused ends matching the siza of the cable.

All you would then is the cable coming out of the slot in the pillar.

Cheers
JB

Phone +64 223509263
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 09, 2014, 12:30:33 PM »

Good idea JB, I'll give it a go and let you know the outcome.
Jim

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 09, 2014, 12:41:39 PM »
+1

Why not use the "Painless" wireless door contacts  Huh Huh Huh .......FC427.......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Crumpsnr

Shellharbour NSW

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 09, 2014, 07:08:22 PM »

Are you talking about a switch like those used for central locking on sliding van doors? The only reason I can see not to use them would be that you can't open your windows with the door open. At this stage that isn't going to be such a big deal for me so I'll probably go down the contact switch route.

Nice work Jim, glad the recovery is coming along.

Regards, Martyn
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 09, 2014, 07:41:21 PM »

Some are going down this path fc427 as painless only do a certain amount of contacts
and with windows central locking they are using more contacts than available.

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 09, 2014, 07:57:06 PM »

Mark, look on p7 I have them but I was looking to have power to the windows while the doors are open. The looms look to be the best answer now I have worked out the fitting of both doors it is just a matter of doing some tweeking to make them look like they belong. I'm looking at JB's suggestion of a slotted cover over the box. Keep everyone posted.
Martyn, as stated before, I am still a bit sore, so it's a little bit at a time back to the doctor next Friday for the follow up visit.
Jim

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 09, 2014, 11:02:18 PM »

Some are going down this path fc427 as painless only do a certain amount of contacts
and with windows central locking they are using more contacts than available.
Pete I fitted these when I built MR FC  for Joe Lock  they are  4 contact, enough for central locking and power windows had to rebate them in to the door  and flush mount them in the pillars worked fine but no you can,t lock the door or use the power windows when the doors are open  Shocked Shocked hows you sedan coming ......FC427.......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 10, 2014, 08:50:21 AM »

Pete, the ones I have are from Bluewire and are modular so you can have as many as you like, they just clip together so you are just limited by the area to be fitted.
Also if I send you the sizes would you be interested in cutting and bending the boxes for my looms. I'm looking at the box a 10mm flange and cover plate as JB suggested.
Jim

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 10, 2014, 09:28:16 AM »

Pete I fitted these when I built MR FC  for Joe Lock  they are  4 contact, enough for central locking and power windows had to rebate them in to the door  and flush mount them in the pillars worked fine but no you can,t lock the door or use the power windows when the doors are open  Shocked Shocked hows you sedan coming ......FC427.......
I need seven wires.... 5 for central lock and 2 on the windows

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 10, 2014, 10:31:00 AM »

Are there 7 wires on all 4 doors or just the front?. I have 4 sets of 4 contacts that I will not be using.
Jim

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 10, 2014, 10:57:52 AM »

Are there 7 wires on all 4 doors or just the front?. I have 4 sets of 4 contacts that I will not be using.
Jim
All four but I guess its for two stage unlocking which I have changed any way so all four actuate at the same time. I'm not game enough to check which ones are for two stage unlock and if I leave it I can always go back to it with the tech 2 programmer (there is no instrument cluster or mode switch anymore Grin)

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 10, 2014, 12:30:09 PM »

I'll check and see how many wires will fit into the loom, the 5 core fits with the outer sleeve, so maybe seven wires will fit.
Jim

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 10, 2014, 04:32:18 PM »

Nes, just stripped a couple of lengths of 5 core and was able to get 8 strands through the loom, so maybe the 7 core trailer wire could fit through.
Jim

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: