FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:53:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Seat Belts  (Read 15823 times)
craiga
« on: April 22, 2004, 09:35:03 AM »

Came across this site while looking for seat belts for my wagon. Lap style METAL buckle belts in various colours at VERY good prices.

Worth a look if you are fitting belts and don't want to drill B pillars.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=602&itemType=CATEGORY

Cheers,

Craig.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2004, 09:35:39 AM by craiga » Logged
Effie C

Model: other Holden

Still Lost & Confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 09:51:24 AM »

Craig
Not real sure they would be legal in Aus.
No Australian Standards tags,rego would knock them back.
John M

LIVE LIFE ONE DAY AT A TIME,FOR TOMORROW MAY NEVER COME!

Photo Site:http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v161/EffieC/
craiga
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 10:30:57 AM »

Do they check tags on "original" type belts? My sedan has very old "Britax" belts and nobody has checked them in the past 20 years.

I can see your point, but I'm still getting some. Grin

cheers,

Craig.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2004, 10:32:06 AM by craiga » Logged
Effie C

Still Lost & Confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 10:43:42 AM »

To each his own,I prefer to keep mine legal and know the bits meet aussie standards.

But what a great site, love the tool section. Wish we could land the stuff for the price they are quoting without import duty etc getting added.

John M
« Last Edit: April 22, 2004, 10:54:48 AM by fcmayberry » Logged

ChrisB

"Shiny Bits"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 10:57:06 AM »

Craig,
When you get the BlOO mobile registered and they see new belts they will check for standards tags on the seat belts. Or do we have over zealous inspectors in ACT !!

ChrisB   Cool
Emu

Emu's Ashes pic - Aussies 5-0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 06:36:57 PM »

Which ones are you putting in? I love the look.

I am almost ready to buy Klippan. I already have holes in the B pillars from a previous fitting.

R u putting them in the back, if so where r u mounting them?

Emu
streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2004, 07:34:59 PM »

Craig ; save yourself the impending grief. you cannot fit these belts in Aussie cars. They MUST have the AS tag. If you are in a prang - even if its not your fault then rest assured they will be checking the car has complied with everything,. You can order seatbelts in any style /colour you chose in this country and they will be legal.
There is a company in Brisbane I reccomend called streetwise and they manufacture and fit seat belts into cars without the bolt through the pillar.  The costs of the belts you have been looking at are comparable to the cost ofthe belts here, and a lot less of a hassle to order The Aussie ones as well as being ADR approved. Cheers streetneat

Cheers streetneat -Andrew
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2004, 11:16:39 PM »

If the vehicle is pre 1964?, unmodified (I think Craigs new addition is) and is NSW registered, then no belts are required.

My car had belts in it when I got it, I removed them & welded up the holes as that was my preference.

There should be no problem with the belts Craig is looking at, as lap belts like those were optional equipement back then.

They sound like a good compromise between nothing & full lap sash.

If I had the desire or were forced to fit belts, they would be the style I would go for.

Gary
Effie C

Still Lost & Confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2004, 11:49:47 PM »

Gary
Does not matter when the car was made, if seat belts are being fitted they have to meet aussie standards, must be approved design and installation.
As streetneat has pointed insurance companies will find a way off removing their liability if something goes wrong, why give them an outer.
Lap seatbelts are available in Oz and approved.
John M
« Last Edit: April 22, 2004, 11:52:29 PM by fcmayberry » Logged

craiga
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2004, 08:42:40 AM »

Thanks to everyone for their comments on this subject. Its always interesting to read the different viewpoints.

The units I linked to are only some of them that I found in my search - many of them indicated that they had international approval and could be used in any country - I'll find the links again and post.

That interesting about being able to buy them in Australia. Streetneat could you give me details about "Streatwise" in Brizzy?

I know the inspector who does all my cars and he wouldn't be too fussed about the certification because of the fact they are just lap belts - but I take your point about insurance.

And as Gary says they are a compromise between nothing and drilling holes in the "B" pillar - something that I am loathe to do to such an original old wagon. I could cut the inner skin and put a plate inside but I don't want to fuss too much for the time being.

Cheers,

Craig.(Seatbeltless but determined Wink )
streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2004, 08:54:00 AM »

The beauty of the the streetwise company (who I have spoken to but not actually bought anything from them as yet )is that the seat belts are not reqiuring a bolt through the pillar. They have some sort of nutsert system I am lead to believe that passes all tests and leaves your pillar bolt free... What more could you ask for? And its supporting an Aussie company.... Phone number is (07) 3633 6100 they are at Eagle farm . Tell 'em streetneat sent ya... not that the chick answering the phone would know who I am....  Roll Eyes Cheers streetneat
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 08:56:56 AM by streetneat » Logged

craiga
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2004, 09:13:50 AM »

Good on you Streetneat, I'll give them a call. Sounds very interesting about the nutsert system - you wouldn't think it was possible due to the thinness of the metal and the requirement to spread the load.  :-/

I'll post up what I find out.

Cheers,

Craig.
streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2004, 09:25:16 AM »

Yeah ... I cant get mt head around how it works either but if its ADR approved it must be alright. I have physically inspected a customers car and this is how I got onto them... Good to see you are following  advise thats designed to help not hinder... cheers streetneat Cool
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 07:07:33 PM by streetneat » Logged

MalFE
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2004, 06:21:53 PM »

My lap- sash belts were fitted in the early 60s and both have Australian Standards marking AS-E35 (1961).

Mal
Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2004, 07:53:19 AM »

I am about to buy Klippan inertia belts as well (there are alrady holes in my pillars).  Has anyone ot any onfo on which model fits best, long stork or adjustable strap type?

Mike
fcfromscratch
wa-club

FC - Fantastic Cars

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2004, 12:02:09 PM »

Mike,

I bought Klippan inertia reel ones with the long stalk for fitting to my FC.  They work well, the buckles protrude a bit above the seat but it makes them easy to find and insert the belt one handed.  See pic...

The length of the stalk is about 400mm, not the longest ones but they allow for almost full movement of the seat adjustment back/forward....if placed correctly on installation.

cheers......Brad
streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2004, 07:08:31 PM »

I use and reccomend for these types of cars where bench seats are fitted the web type of buckle rather than the Stalk type. True its easier to put a stalk buckle on one handed but I found they look less pleasing and tend to wear the seat out quickly where it rubs form constant use. The good news is you can order them in most popular colours at very little extra cost ..some times no extra cost -but you have to wait a few weeks for them. Most Auto outlets will order these in for you...  Cheers streetneat.

Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2004, 08:41:15 AM »

Thanks for the info guys, I guess I have to decide which one I want, its for a daily driver so maybe the stork? Then again I know the strap type are in stock so it maybe a case of wanting it now.

Brad, who did your seats?  Some on local who you would recommend?

Mike

Mike
fcfromscratch
wa-club

FC - Fantastic Cars

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2004, 11:34:05 PM »

Mike,

it was a lady from south of Mandurah who used to do it for a living, then she did it as a hobby, but now she's had to give it away as the fumes from the adhesives were causing her health problems.....shame really, cause I'd get her to do the work again some time when I needed, I was very happy with the work and the price...

are you thinking of coming along to the meeting on Tues 8/6?

Brad
Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2004, 05:50:01 AM »

Yeh I am hoping to get along.  I think the club rooms are only a couple of k's from my place - East Vic park isn't it, what time?  Will your car be there?  I would like to see exactly where you mounted the belt storks - on the tunnel or next to it?

Mike
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: