FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 14, 2024, 11:56:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Engine Clean Up / Maintenance  (Read 3376 times)
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2011, 09:20:39 AM »

Hi All,

While I have the front end / subframe off I am planning on giving the grey motor a clean up by putting new gaskets in to stop a few leaks. I have a couple of queries regarding this.

With the motor on an engine stand I plan on flushing the block out to get rid of the sludge etc. Ken gave an excellent description on how to do this by taking out the welch plugs and then flushing. Can anyone see any potential problem if I alternate the motor and turn it up side down every now and then to assist in getting rid of the sludge. The motor still has the head on.

When I have finished with this I will put the gaskets in. I have some questions re the head gasket. In the manual (original) it says to use clean dry bolts. Should sealer be used? If so what have people used? The torquing sequence (order of bolts) is different on the gasket set compared to the manual. Which one should I use.

I plan on using the torque settings on the kit as the gasket isn't a copper one which is slightly less in the manual compared to the new gasket. The gasket set is ACL and not monotorque. With that in mind after how many miles should the head be retentioned and should it be done when the motor is cold?

Sorry for so many questions. I hope some of them can be answered.

Cheers

Rod
John253a
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 09:05:35 AM »

if i were you idd rip the head, sump, dizzy and all covers off + Welsh plugs,
remove the cam, and crank, then blast it with a pressure washer,

buy yourself a 4" honing tool ($10-15 at supper cheep) and some wd40/crc
and give the bore a de-glase while your at it (while it out it worth it) use a cordless drill on slow speed and do figure 8's

clean up the stock pistons, but replace the rings,
replace the big ends and mains bearing with stock replacement, but leave the cam bearing(to hard to change)
replace the timing gears, water pump and oil pump, and fit all new gaskets

whilst the heads off send it to the reconditioners and get satellite inserts fitted to it and valves regrind (normal 10 per valve and 50 per insert)

http://www.acl.com.au/web/aclwebsite.nsf/8df7d3f7b605537a4a2569660082eda8/a0e0db0bd31ef0894a256967000e2235/$FILE/EZYFIT.pdf  (pg 38)
http://www.aclperformance.com.au/Holden138.htm

then convert the dizzy to elect.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pertronix-Ignitor-Holden-Grey-motor-6-cyl-Bosch-/360401049411?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53e9939743

this will not be like a rebuilt motor but a freshen up, and will allow also make it more reliable and ulp friendly

head should be around $500
bearings/ rings $170
gasket set $150
timing gear,water/oil pump $250
dizzy $130
this is what i roughly paid last time i did one this way

if you wish go the next step you'll add another 8-1500 for machining, 2-400 for pistons + 300 for cam&bearing
depending how far/hard you wish to go

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: